SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nofriday

Feedback on galley/island kitchen design and appliances (Miele, etc)

Hey everyone!

Long time listener, first time caller. We are planning a major kitchen / house renovation in our starting in the fall. We are working with an architect and are really happy with how things are shaping up, but wanted to get some feedback from the TGW/Houzz community on our plans. We are past schematic design, and working on kitchen layout / construction documents, so I figured it was a good time to get feedback from this group as we work to firm out the layout, design, and appliance choices.

The major things I'd love feedback on:

• Kitchen layout / floor plan - we've chosen a galley layout + island for the space we are putting kitchen in. Does anything stand out in terms of placement of prep spaces, sinks, appliances, etc
  • Appliance selection - I've done a fair amount of research on this (on TGW and elsewhere) and would like any feedback on what we've chosen

For background on our project, we purchased the house last summer, and our goals included:

• Upgrading the kitchen (since I love to cook)
  • Opening up the interior floor plan and relocating the kitchen to be more central to the living space
  • Placing the kitchen close to the western edge of house, where we have a great view (this means we have a little less "wall space" for cabinets and storage)

Here are the layout options we are considering thus far (with some preliminary elevations):

Regarding the layout, the main things I am debating are:

• Galley design / placement of sinks. I've chosen to place the oven/cooktop against the galley (east) wall, as opposed to the island, primarily because of ventilation, because I don't want a hood to interfere with the aesthetics/view. After reading a bunch of posts, I've chosen to keep the 13' island as uncluttered as possible, save for a bar/prep sink, so that it can be a nice eating / prep space. As a result, I am biased towards putting the main kitchen sink / dishwasher on the main galley wall as well, next to the cooktop, but worry about whether that will be too much "stuff" against this wall, and not leave enough counter space next to the cooktop/ovens. The thinking being that more of my time will be spent prepping on the island (such that prep sink will suffice). Option 1 has the prep sink on the island, Option 2 has the main sink on the island (with a prep sink on the galley wall). Option 3 lengthen the galley wall and puts the main sink on that wall as well.
  • Storage space - how would you optimize for sufficient storage in this layout? I think we'll need to add more upper cabinets against the galley wall. (I think this is an interim rendering that I asked for in order to get feedback from TGW).
  • Any other feedback on this layout in terms of what works well and what might be troubling?

I think I like Option 1 the best, but welcome feedback on any of this!

Regarding the appliances, while I pretty much researched each option independently of brand, I am leaning towards a primarily Miele kitchen. If there are any gotchas with my list and/or better options that I have not considered, I'd love to know! Here is what I have preliminarily chosen:

After a lot of debate I decided to make the leap to induction, even though we have option for gas. I chose Miele over Wolf in a close call. I considered the Gaggenau and Thermador options as well.

I considered Wolf M Series as well but ultimately chose Miele primarily for brand/style consistency, particularly with Oven #2.

From discussions with friends and reading forums, I wanted a steam/combi oven. I also like the Wolf (http://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/ovens/steam-oven/30-inch-m-series-professional-convection-steam-oven) but was biased towards the Miele based on reputation + the plumbed option. I considered the Gaggenau too, but ultimately thought this wasn't worth the substantially higher price.

I didn't heavily consider other options besides SubZero. I am leaning towards this style (French door, over/under, internal dispenser), but let me know if there are opinions on other options.

To be honest, I haven't researched this heavily beyond seeing that Miele's are extremely well regarded, and it's consistent with other choices that I am making. So your opinion on what line of Miele dishwasher is "worth it" would be helpful.

Mainly chosen because of other options.

• Microwave: ??

I haven't researched this at all and am not 100% sure of what size opening we'd be looking at, but I assume 30"? Would appreciate your recommendation on an undercounter option consistent with the brand/style choices above.

• Range Hood: ??

Haven't researched yet

Other design considerations / questions. If you have any thoughts on the following:

• Warming Drawer: I didn't consider this at first because of two ovens, but lots of folks seem to like having a drawer even with two ovens.
  • Microwave: I think we'll still want this, but some folks with a steam oven seem to forego microwave as well?
  • Hangers for pots and pans next to range - leaning against this primarily due to space avaiable
  • Pot filler for range top - I am not sure if I love the aesthetics of this. Thoughts on how important this is?
  • Island width / seating design / 2 height design - Planning on keeping the island one height as opposed to two height for eating / prep. Thoughts?
  • Coffee systems - is it worth putting an embedded system in this style kitchen? Worried about the space.
  • Trash / recycling drawer
  • Storage for bigger but less used appliances (e.g. mixer, blender, food processor)

Thanks for reading all of this and for any feedback you can provide! If anything is unclear and/or more information would be helpful, please let me know. We are very excited (and daunted) by this project. We know it will be great, and want to avoid any obvious mistakes / poor choices based on opinions from this community. I'll be sure to share an update when we are further along with the design/project too!

-joe

Comments (21)