SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Feedback on kitchen layout - IKEA - small galley

AMS
4 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I first started posting about my kitchen remodel almost 2 years ago (!) - first layout post. Not much has changed, but I have lived here for a year and a half now and I'm ready to pull the trigger!

My proposed layouts and a layout of my whole house are below. But first:

• I live alone, and like to cook and bake. I use my cooktop far more than my oven on a daily basis.
  • My house is a 1.5 story from ~1948, with ~1200 sq ft. It is important to me that the kitchen look period appropriate, but not a replica.
  • Because of funds, etc, I am planning on using IKEA cabinets with the Axstad fronts. I know they're thermofoil, I'm OK with it. I'm planning on squeezing a small trash and recycling under the sink.
  • Due to family generosity, I will have nice appliances and am planning on a 31" Fisher Paykel fridge, a 30" GE Cafe induction range and microhood [yes, I've decided], and an 18" Bosch dishwasher. I mention this only because if a different appliance could change my life, it's a possibility. Note: I'm only 5'3" and cannot reach the top shelf of the super tall Euro fridges (I tried).
  • I will be having an electrician do what's needed for induction, add recessed lights, and extra outlets.
  • My personal splurge will be soapstone counters (or if I chicken out at the last minute, honed Virginia Mist).

Something I would love feedback on specifically:

• You'll see in the layout below that on the fridge side of the kitchen, there are ~40 inches between the counter and the far wall. I plan to put a 31" wide fridge here, and then have my handy-woman custom build a 6-7" wide pull-out broom storage or pantry. I figure that the fridge door needs to be able to open, and the storage would be nice. Is this totally crazy? I got the idea from this:

Kitchen renovation in small 1930s Colonial · More Info

And now, IKEA layouts:

House layout:

Thank you!

Comments (96)