SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thealeph

Feedback on teeny galley modern kitchen plan

thealeph
13 years ago

Hi!

I've been loving these forums and all the great advice.

I'd love some feedback on the kitchen renovation we are considering for our new NYC apartment.

There are just 2 of us (so far ;-)), and we've spent the past 8 years in miserable claustrophobic NYC rentals with rotten cabinets and 2x2 counters, so this 7'x7' (10' high ceiling) galley kitchen renovation is so exciting for us.

We don't cook much, but we are hoping a nice kitchen might get us to do so, more. Aesthetics (we like a clean, minimal, but personalized look) are really important to us, as is resale value (particularly important in brand-conscious NYC). The rest of the apartment will have very dark brown hardwood floors, white walls, lots of glass and wood.

I posted a link below to my illustration of the plan, but I can't get it large enough to be really clear, so, here's the idea:

*Charcoal rectangle stone flooring tiles

*Black Ikea bottom cabinets and drawers

*Stainless steel counters

*Sub zero stainless fridge (glass door or french door)

*Mid/high end (not sure brand)stainless range with electric or induction cooktop

*Low end stainless dishwasher (we don't use one, just for resale)

*Pale pink walls covered in thin glass, all the way to the ceiling

*Large rectangular light running the length of ceiling down the middle

Standing in the doorway, on the left wall:

*sink, dishwasher, fridge

*two long stainless shelves, with microwave sandwiched between them on the far end. The bottom shelf, where it is over the sink, will become a grid, so washed dishes can drip into the sink

Standing in the doorway, on the right wall:

*tiny cabinet, range, drawers (bottom drawer open, with no front, for cat water/food), cabinet

*above the range, two small stainless shelves

*above the remaining counter top, a mural painted on the wall behind the glass, four pendent lights coming down from the ceiling

The far wall will be covered in mirror.

One more important detail - there is a full length pantry just outside the kitchen, adding a lot of storage.

Any and all comments, suggestions etc.. would be so helpful - we have never renovated before, so we are open to all guidance!

thanks!

(at the link, birds eye view over our heads, we are there to give a sense of scale)

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/11/kitchen_plans_big.html

Comments (25)