SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

Casual fashion for the older women?

User
6 years ago

I'm not much into fashion but I've been noticing a change in what people are wearing. What does the older women wear these days (casual dress) when going out of the house?

It looks like everyone is wearing tight legged pants, or leggins. I'm not thin so I don't do tight. I like the plain knit tops but I also think they are a thing of the past.

Comments (56)

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

josephene, I have a bunch of summer dresses in my closet that I never wear. This year, I decided I'm going to wear a dress once a week. They are so comfortable and cool, I might start wearing a dress every day!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've met with good success at talbots recently. I also manage to find some things at Ann Taylor or Loft. I wear jeans all the time--full length most of the year and denim bermuda length shorts for the summer. I have lots of tops of all kinds to wear with them. GFs seem to like J Jill but I never find anything there for me. I'm short and most of chico's stuff seems to be geared toward taller people.

• Related Discussions

Fashions for 'older' women

Q

Comments (2)
    My mother loves J Jill (she is 66) and I do too, their clothes are elegant and classic but comfortable. Many pieces go together with many other pieces, and they even have a free personal shopper to help you in the store or online. And best of all, if you call or place an order in a shop in your mall you get free shipping! I agree with you, many department stores leave the over 50 set without a lot of choices. Here is a link that might be useful: J Jill
    ...See More

Comfort or fashion (over 50's women)

Q

Comments (33)
    oklamoni, most jeans do suck, but I buy the stretch, and also prefer the elastic waistband. (not quit as fashionable) They are more comfortable though. Does anyone know what they call the shirts that are longer in the front & back? I can't find any, and us fluffy girls need that coverage. I just hate to shop for clothes! Oh, and forget the shoes, nothing fits, I have a short wide foot, most shoes are out for me. At least the nice looking ones.
    ...See More

More fashion... spring shoes? ...oh, and a jacket?

Q

Comments (54)
    lol, i know exactly what you mean --- i ordered them in white and tan and the white def look orthopedic so I kept the tan. One thing even that cute pic above does not show is that the outside zipper is kind of shiny gold, which is cute. Today my DD2 "borrowed" them and wore them to school. I wasn't home when she left and when she came home she was in sports clothes, so I will have to ask her what she paired it with!
    ...See More

Women’s hair comment

Q

Comments (37)
    Exactly Texas Gem. Very nicely written I’m sure what follows will be of no interest to anyone but me. Threads like this always make me sad. Growing up, the “ideal woman” was Christie Brinkley. Tall, thin, pin-straight shiny blonde hair. Me? I was short, chunky, and had frizzy kinky hair that was all over the place. So for decades I tried to make my hair look “ideal.” But because I’m blessed with both frizzy and fine hair, chemicals do quite a number on it. I’ve tried relaxers, colors, straighteners. Doesn’t matter what I’ve tried, I’ve never looked like Christie Brinkley. I can remember my mother (may God rest her soul), sitting at the kitchen table clucking with her sister about the state of my hair. Gee, thanks mom. I’m a straight A student in honors classes, but yes please let’s focus on my hair. As I’ve gotten older and looked around, I’ve come to realize we all too often focus on things which literally do not matter. I am done waging a war with my hair. I do the best I can with what God and my genes gave me and that’s just going to have to suffice for everyone else on the planet. But for some reason, women particularly are often so harsh on other women about how they “look.” If you’re interested in wasting a little bit of time, poke around and see what this white woman’s standard of hair has done to our young black girls. My one big hope is that this standard does seem to be fading. I don’t have children of my own, but in talking with the children of my friends there seems to be much more emphasis on the things that really do matter. Or maybe I’m just deluding myself because the alternative is too sad to contemplate.
    ...See More
  • wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

I just wear jeans and t shirts all the time. I'm 66. If/when I start wearing elastic waist pants outside the house I will consider myself to be officially elderly. Until then I'm sticking to my jeans. I'm short and chunky too, but not in a round way.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've never heard of most of those stores. I have usually stuck to Walmart, Goodys or JC Pennys. Not much in this old country town. I usually wear jeans everyday and a knit top but I feel like the styles have changed and I didn't. Short and chunky here too. Nothing fits well.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I live in leggings in the winter, but I don't buy the skin tight ones and I always wear boots. Add a long tunic style turtleneck sweater and I'm good to go.

In the summer, I love Chico's pants - they fit me very well. For everyday when it's not horribly hot, I love LLBean's French fisherman knit tops - both the one with a zipper and the bateau neck. When it's hot and sticky, I wear Roberta Roller Rabbit (yes, that IS a real brand!) light weight bright cotton tops. They fabric is very soft and light weight but it is tightly woven so no see-through problems (the idea of a cami in hot weather makes me want to faint!).

I do always wear nice jewelry. First of all, if I don't wear it everyday, when will I wear it at my age! Second, it can make inexpensive clothes look far nicer.

Last night, I went out to dinner with two friends. White Chico's slender pants just above the ankle, and a Roberta Roller Rabbit longer tunic top and Jack Rogers sandals. Jewelry and my vintage Nantucket basket handbag, and I looked as good as it is possible for a 73 yr old woman to look unless she's Jane Fonda!

• seniorgal
    6 years ago

Imagine my situation! Almost 95 years old. Still tall and need at least 31" inseam on pants. Losing my waistline as I grow around the middle. Have started to wear elastic waist pants tho I don't like them. Can't get out to shop so rely on catalogs. I do the best I can with long tops and/or jackets. Most catalogs have only pants with 30 inch inseams and they don't take into consideration the "rise" in pants so they're too short between waist and crotch. I joke that about all I can do is stay clean and neat!!!!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Anglo, thank you for the Rebecca Roller Rabbit advice. Though I am still middle aged, I abhor the athleasure look and love shirt dresses, and bright cheerful tops like at RRR.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I live in pants and tops - often sweats or yoga gear when at home but somewhat dresser when I am out and about at work. I also favor leggings or straight legged jeans - again not excessively tight - and longer, tunic style tops and sweaters. Or with just a shell or T shirt and a loose overshirt/blouse. In summer, I love linen trousers or crop pants and lightweight tops. For evening wear, I have dressier versions of these but the same theme applies - straight legged pants and a longish top. The last time I wore a dress was to my niece's wedding.......and that was about 6 years ago!!

I am comfortable, don't think I dress below my age but look smart and up to date. I am often complimented on my attire :-))

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Joann, where in Florida are you? Seems like there should be an outlet close enough for you to get to?

Order online! I do. I am petite and the stores carry very little. It can be hit or miss because they are always "playing" with the idea of vanity sizing. We all know what we weigh, for goodness sake. Do women really like the idea that they can have an article of clothing in their closet that is one or two sizes smaller than the others?

It does make things difficult, but I have found that I can sort of judge by looking at the pictures. Sometimes you can get help with what size to order.

With Loft, if you have to reorder, the item is shipped for free.

I can't tell you the amount I spend on shipping. I just chalk it up to a necessary expense. Using gas in my car to go to a mall, paying to park at some malls etc.

Garden, I am also collecting dresses! I am going to push myself to wear them. Mine are inexpensive sun dresses that I bought at the Gap and Marshalls.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I started wearing dresses on a regular basis about four years ago and find them very cool and comfortable. I like mine well made and at least knee length; don't really like the long styles on me.

I like Chicos and LLBean lately. But thanks for the Christopher & Banks reminder. I rarely find something that speaks to me there, but I just ordered the CUTEST BLOUSE!

I'm 65, but will never dress like my granny did, lol! Or a twenty year old, for that matter.

• brendadallas
    6 years ago

Dresses all the time for me. I wear "skimmies" by Hanes under all dresses. Lots of long dresses. So much cooler and more comfortable than any pants/jeans/shorts.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I have a few pairs of black excersize type pants, full length, they have a permanent seam sewn down the front..they are a larger size so not skin tight and are great for dress up or down depending on shirt, shoes, and accessories.

I agree with Anglo jewelry can make inexpensive clothes look nicer and that makes you look like a million bucks.

Another thing blouses or slacks that are pressed off can change something from looking hum drum to great.

I don't wear jeans, never cared for how they feel on me. I do wear a lot of cotton zip up slacks and button up blouses. For bum around the house, cleaning ect I wear mostly medical scrub shirts with cotton capris, or a mix matched pair of summer PJ's (pant & top) I figure no ones going to see me except for my family and I like comfort LOL. Going out in public though I like to look clean, neat, and put together.

I remember once in the 90's I was dressed and putting on some makeup I was headed out Xmas shopping I was rushed by an impatient DH...I had on a pair of black cotton slacks and a charcoal long sleeved silk blouse, a scarf and some jewlery, this particular da y I felt good, you ladies know when you like your outfit and your hair cooperated for a change? ya I felt like I looked good, well in the mall I noticed people starring at my forehead a lot so I went to the ladies room to investigate and found I forgot to use my eye brow pencile on the right side..LOL WHY a eyebrow pencil because a few days prior I had the brain storm to trim my own eyebrows with a razor...yep...I couldn't shape them and they kept getting smaller the more I tried..haha. How does this fit into this thread..it doesn't but I'm a talker at times.

6 years ago

I just looked at Rebecca Roller Rabbit and I'm seduced! Love it!

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

I have problems finding things to wear, everything is paper thin and fits weird. I don't want to wear multiple layers of shirts that fit oddly. I recently gained about 15 pounds after starting a new desk job. So, the clothes I bought for work didn't quite fit anymore. My daughter and I went to Target because someone had recommended them. Everything was horrible, paper thin, overly priced for the junk they sold. I bought nothing. Went to some nicer stores but didn't find anything better, just more expensive. Finally went to Macys to the "old lady" section and bought about 8 shirts at around $11 each on sale of course. Nice thick t-shirt type material some a little dressy, some just nice stylish t-shirts with cuffed, longer (3/4 inch) sleeves. The brand is Karen Scott. I also bought a pair of stretch waist pants that look like dark shiny denim. They're so comfortable and perfect for work in a dark basement where I work telephone care-lol. Later went to Wal-Mart and bought some Just my Size tan colored jeans. Again okay for work and just running around town. I bought a couple of their capri/cargo style pants too to wear around the house and run errands. They're comfortable and cheap.

• lily316
    6 years ago

Hate the thin stuff too. Even my favorite store GAP has it. I like the thrift store for 100% cotton or linen clothes. I wear nothing that isn't 100% . I wear shorts and tees around the house and linen capris and dressier cotton tees when I'm out with a cardigan sweater to match ...along with

my Birkenstocks. I wear no other shoe ( except my Nikes when I run) for half the year. They are so comfortable so revolve my four pairs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I've never found anything at target...their clothing is even worse than walmart. At least at walmart, I found a couple of knit stretch shorts to wear when it's super hot. And that's where I found my "prom" dress for formal wear when I travel! DH only wears the jeans from Walmart at $10/pair.

I agree about LL Bean dresses. I have a couple of them and they are as comfortable as a house dress but look nice and neat and presentable.

If you're in FL, look at Beall's and Beall's Outlets. Mom and I used to find lots of good bargains there. (Still remember that great bathing suit I got there for $12 and it was so flattering.) Also look on line for outlet store locations. For example in Orlando. You can find a lot of better made, name-brand clothing at bargain prices. I find I do well when I make 1 or 2 trips a year to the outlets, especially when the sales are on.

• chessey35
    6 years ago

I wear jeans a lot and sweaters in winter and crops in the summer and nice t's - not ones with logos, etc. Wear chino type pants, usually black, and nice tops (not t's) when the occasion calls for something slightly dressier. I do have dresses and think I'll wear them but seldom do. My objection to leggings is that they're designed to be worn under tunics which hit below your rear and so many people wear them as pants with short shirts - not attractive in my opinion. I can't wear elastic waist pants -don't find them comfortable and seem to be constantly tugging them up.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Chessey, it's funny what we get used to. All shapes and sizes are wearing the tight leggings and with shorter tops.

I am so used to this look, I don't even actually notice anymore.

I also love to get bargain prices. I don't actually NEED anything. I just like to update now and again to look current.

Side story: I made a promise to myself to never buy anything at Loft for full price. This is my favorite store. I usually have to order online, but sometimes I am lucky in the store.

I tried on a pair of pants that were very expensive. They fit perfectly, an unusual feat for me. I brought them up and decided to bite the bullet and make an exception. Well, they were on sale, and then even more of a percentage, I got them for 19.99!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cute pineapple top, but I gave up sleeveless yrs ago. I think you have to have slender arms to make them look good. I have to try on clothes so online is out unless I am sure of it. I do go to bealls but I find most of the tops are so thin and cheap looking. I looked yesterday and I just don't like them. I guess I'll just stay at home. I'd love to see some pic if you have some styles to show me. I've just never been much of a clothes horse.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

JoAnn...I agree....no sleeves=in shape muscled arms or forget it

For staying cool in the Summer, I wear a LOT of baggie cargo capris or Champion jersey capris..

I still run, so I can wear athletic clothes. I shop JCP. They have womens work out pants that are nicely made. Then I put on a baggie T-shirt, maybe Ralph Lauren, some jewelry, topped off w/ a casual Coach hand bag.

Lily mentioned BIrks for sandals. I own those or Teva or Born. JCP sells nice Asics or Nikes, I like those too.

I have tons of stores to choose from, but you mentioned JCP and I can find everything I need there and the coupons! wink note: their mens pajama pants are THE BEST EVER!!!! (for sleeping in only)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

I live in leggings in all prints and colors, but a size bigger so they don't look like tights. They look like slim pants. There's nothing more comfortable for me. I like loose tunic tops or long cotton shirts like Fresh Produce brand.

I wear short stretchy skirts, too, for coolness and comfort and for dancing. I don't care if my flappy upper arms show. I deserve to be cool, like anyone else.

I miss our Macys terribly. They went away like many stores here. I used to like Chicos but they now carry very bland clothing and I like crazy prints so I can get away with not wearing a bra.

• Janie
    6 years ago

I am not so thin and I am short. I like Talbots petite plus (ordered on-line) but they have the same products in different sizes too. I have this 3/4 sleeve cotton shirt in a myriad of colors. I wear them with white or khaki long slacks with clunky costume jewelry or a pretty scarf or my good/real jewelry. Then I wear them with Gloria Vanderbilt cotton capris which I buy at Bealls for every day in and out of the house wear. My closet is filled with Talbot shirts and Gloria's capris in a lot of colors!

• chisue
    6 years ago

To think I once shopped as a pastime! I'm 76 with mild asthma and steroid-depleted bones -- two hip replacements. I tire quickly. You've read my wish for rubber-tire transport to circulate within vast malls.

Since I can't wear anything *forever*, I currently 'have nothing to wear'! How can I shop if I have nothing to wear?

Clothing stores within my town center primarily cater to the Ladies Who Lunch/Golf/Attend Events.

Trips to malls feel like expeditions, and finding suitable clothing feels like stalking rare animals: Skirts I can sit down in; non-denim and non-yoga pants; things OK with low, supportive shoes (like Merrell); non-sleeveless dresses and tops.) Although I've shrunk one inch to 5' 5" and am losing my waist, I'm 105 lbs. and don't require a 'tent'. I need everyday wear for errands and an occasional meal out -- or a shopping trip!

How do you order by mail and get anything that FITS? I wear today's size 6 in pants, 30" or less inseam. I have size 6 shoulders, but a 36" bust. My upper arms and legs are 'crepe-y'; I want to cover them.

I do well with Jones NY/Liz Claiborne for fit and decent quality material. Hilfiger runs small. "Classic" styles. Suggestions for catalogs? I need more warm weather wear than winter clothing.

• schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

My 87yr. old Mom wore jeans right up to the day she passed. Every once in awhile she would make a comment that maybe "I'm too old to wear jeans", but I told her what the heck? If they are comfortable, wear them. She was thin and petite by that age and just wore the usual style jeans, nothing too modern like holes and rips and sparkly rhinestones. ha

• Rusty
    6 years ago

I'm in my late 70's, a little overweight, and my body has become lopsided over the years, due to (I think) sciatic nerve problems back in the 1970's that caused permanent damage to the nerves in one leg. Which also caused 'drop foot', and that foot to turn sideways. So for the last 5 or 6 years, I've worn an ankle-foot orthotic in order to walk without tripping. I also wear athletic shoes because they do a much better job for me than the orthotic shoes the doctor would have me wear. Plus they are not as ugly.

Yes, I know a long story, perhaps TMI, but it does impact my clothing choices. As does my budget. I've checked out some of the clothing suggested here. Holy schmoly! No way I could afford most of those things!

My standard outfit when away from the house is jeans and a pull over top, usually a T shirt. No logos, but usually a pretty color and sometimes an attractive print. Regular jeans, not elastic waist. Prefer 100% cotton, but that is getting to be very hard to find.

Around the house and in the yard, 99% of the time, I live in tank tops and shorts. But I no longer leave my property that way.

Wal Mart is my go-to store, although I'm apparently going to have to broaden my horizons to buy new jeans. I have almost completely replaced my 'stock' of both T shirts and tank tops over the last year. I really like the "White Stag" brand they have. T shirts and tank tops in 100% cotton! ! A nice weight, not thin, but not too heavy, either. Lots of pretty colors. $6.00 for the T's, the tanks are less, don't remember the exact figure. I don't wear the tanks with the narrow shoulder straps and low cut neckline. The ones I get, the shoulder is the same width as my shoulder, and the neckline is nicely rounded, shows no cleavage at all.

"Dress up" is a nice pair of slacks with a dressy pull over top. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, fashion conscious. When I find something I like, I'm likely to get several duplicates, because it may be years before I find anything I like again. Some of the T's and tanks I've been replacing are probably 10 to 15 years old, from back when Walmart carried the 'Bobbie Brooks' brand, because it's been that long since I've seen material and colors I like.

I do NOT wear leggings, tights or yoga pants. I do not want any spandex or anything else stretchy in my clothes.

Has fashion passed me by? Don't know, don't care! :^)

Rusty

• eld6161
    6 years ago

To each her own!

Rusty, all the stores mentioned have really good sales and that is when you should be prepared to buy.

I'm still at the point where I enjoy still enjoy clothing. I work at a part-time job with other same aged women( late 50' and 60's). All always look nice and it's fun to see the different styles and fashions they are all wearing.

I agree with your idea of multiples. I do that a lot. For me it's especially shoes. Shoes are hard for me having a small, wide high arched foot. When I find something, I try to get another pair and I squirrel it away for when I need it.

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Rusty I agree, went on-line to check some of them out. Even if I had the money I wouldn't pay $150 for a cheap little shirt. Went to a ritzy new outdoor mall in Lexington a couple months ago with my exchange student. We went into a couple stores. One was a clothing store with basic, summery clothing. Nothing fancy, tank tops and tiny shorts for $44! People were buying this stuff too. We just walked out. I just picked up a couple pair of tiny shorts for my daughter last week at Wal-Mart (they didn't have them in the one in Lexington when we went together), so got them in my little town: under $7 each same or better construction that the $44 ones. Last night was slow at work, read news on-line about all the stores closing. One of them was Wet-Seal, my daughter used to shop there all the time, very reasonable prices for teens/young adults. Then they jacked their prices up and she and probably a lot of those young people quit shopping there. They're blaming it on internet sales but I'm not so sure that's true based on how packed the mall is anytime I go there. You can't even find a parking spot most days near any entrance except way in the back. New mall down the road, the fancy one was packed with shoppers too.

• chisue
    6 years ago

Some things -- like jeans or not jeans -- depends on where you live and how other people dress in 'your world'. We went through this not long ago in a discussion of what's 'appropriate' for a funeral or visitation. Different places have different 'norms'.

I'm wearing jeans right now. I have two pair that I'm OK wearing to the grocery store. I'd like some pants that are a little more 'upscale'. DH has jeans AND Dockers. Is there a 'missy' version of Dockers?

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Kathsgrdn, my daughter also loved Wet Seal, ours closed last year after prices went way up. loved their clearance racks which they always had tons on clearance than it would be buy one clearance item get the second for a penny. Can't even tell you how many cute tops we would find for under five dollars and than another for a penny. And shoes, great sales on shoes and boots, ya they were all fashion footwear for teens, but these dirt cheap footwear made different outfits easy. You know teens have to have different shoes for each outfit lol. Aldo loved Rue21 for teens, lots of different fashions very cheap.

• marcopolo5
    6 years ago

chisue, yes Dockers does make pants for ladies. They have a website, their pants come in 3 lengths and many sizes. Have bought from them and never had a disappointment

6 years ago

Chisue, I strongly recommend LL Bean for trousers, shorts, jeans, etc.

I don't wear typical tees anymore, but have several cotton polos, boat neck shirts, and other super comfy shirts in other styles....most from LL Bean.

Good sales going on now.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

i wear linen every chance i get...here in texas that's a lot of the year i like jjill and flax (when i can afford it) and very plain pieces because i iron it....i've been wearing linen for 10 or 12 years easy to wash and iron and comfortable for almost every occasion in my world

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Zippity, count me in as another linen lover. It breathes like no other fabric.I think a lot more people would wear linen if it didn't need ironed, but no way out of ironing linen. I have some linen pants and blouses wish I could afford more but can't.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is a outfit I love, I have a similar outfit of course in a larger size haha. Its not exactly casual more dress casual.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I also have a very similar outfit like this but different scarf..love this scarf though

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

This is similar to what I'd wear shopping or to a lunch with friends...with flats not heels

• lily316
    6 years ago

Totally agree with Dawn. Thrift stores is where it's at. I only buy the quality labels and get fabulous buys like a cashmere Ralph Lauren sweater set for under $5! Much of this is quality 100% cotton and not that thin stuff. As for upper arms...I wear sleeveless all the time and tank tops around the house. My arms and legs are skinny but wrinkled from all the decades of sunbathing but who cares? I don't.

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

You go, lily!

Rusty, you so right about the White Stag brand. Stylish, good quality and affordable - I like it a lot.

• chisue
    6 years ago

Thanks to all for the brand and style ideas -- and Female Dockers. (Why did I never google that?)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If you like Dockers I found some "All Day pants" by Lee that are great and good for work. I found them at a thrift store.

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Macy's sale, here's a link to Karen Scott stuff I mentioned in my post. The t-shirts are thick, unlike the paper thin material they make today. https://www.macys.com/shop/search/Pageindex/1?keyword=Karen%20Scott  I found a couple of the shirts I bought at the store.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I just retired so my wardrobe has been in transition. I have a lot of things like the first outfit Mamapinky posted but in different colors. I don't wear much brown or cream, but have a lot of black, grey or white/ivory pants or ankle pants and solid tops or sweater sets similar to those. I don't wear scarves much, especially not in summer, nor do I wear jeans in summer. In evenings, I do have a pair of lightweight denim stretch skinny ankle pants in light grey I will wear some. I am tall and slender so it is hard to find things that fit right.

For just running errands in daytime, I have skorts, shorts, knit tops that are either sleeveless, cap or short sleeved or a couple of knee length knit dresses I wear. The knit dresses are great for travel. I buy a lot of casual stuff on 6pm.com. If you know what brands fit you well, and I do, you can rack up some great deals on high quality stuff. My latest dress is a Toad & Co knit that is so comfy for summer. Easy returns within 30 days.

I like to be trendy, even at 68, and we do go out often to functions that are casual. But I don't need a bunch of stuff in my closet. Just stuff that works.

• tjkeen
    6 years ago

Chisue, Dockers has pants in different styles and lengths. Their tops and sweater sets are well made and classic.......in my opinion.

• User
    6 years ago

I'm primarily an LL Bean buyer for pants but always liked Dockers, too. One warning! A few years back they changed their size specifications. What was once a size 6 became a size 8...and so on. Be sure to use their measurement chart to order. Aside from the fact that all these manufacturers say they build a product to an industry accepted measurement standard, I've found that not to be true. Especially with Dockers. Measure twice...order once. :-)

Although it's been a while since I ordered from them...I remember their fabric quality to be excellent as is their workmanship. Plus... when they advertise "no ironing necessary"...they mean it. Their chino fabric comes out of the dryer with nary a wrinkle and the crease still in place.

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Dockers, Lee, Levi black/navy khaki type pants.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

i am hopeless at thrift stores i end up with lots (and lots) of stuff that's just not "me" for some reason i think if it's a really good deal i end up getting it whether or not i really like it at almost 65 i've stopped going to them and if i want/need something i just buy it at that point, but i haven't had to do the "need" thing in a while because i actually have "enough" clothes for once in my life i actually bought 10 pair of underwear the other day and i've never even owned that many pair at one time before......lol....

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

I'd love to find 'real' clothing at the thrift stores. Real cotton, the way things used to be. It's all the same thin stuff that you can buy new. Nothing old enough to be of the good quality. I don't have patience for shopping, at thrift stores, or new. I hate fighting with the clothes in the dressing rooms either, they're so small you can't even turn around in them.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

I can and do wear leggings, but only with longer tops to about mid thigh. My favs in the winter are fleece lined that tuck into boots. Even with jeans or shorts I prefer tops that are at least to the middle of my hips. At 62, I'm slim and especially slim hipped but never had much of a waistline -- even in my teens and 20s at 5'5" and barely 100 pounds, I still had a bit of a tummy -- so now almost 20 pounds later, I really like elastic waist pants or jeans with some stretch in them. I have good luck at outdoor stores for casual clothes. The clothes are made for freedom of movement -- hence some elastic in the waist, without being too full through the hips and legs. For dressier, but still casual, I love Eileen Fisher for the comfort, but it's pricey.

I rarely buy anything that needs ironing.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

I'm not in the age range considered 'older' yet, but we all get there at some point! I buy most of my clothing online, only items that have reviews (I look at the 3 stars, that's where I've found the most helpful and reality-based reviews on everything from electronics to clothing. If there aren't any 3 star and its all 5 starred reviews I look elsewhere just as I do when it's only 1-2 star). If you can take your measurements accurately (helps to have someone to assist in this) then you can generally determine whether a given article of clothing is going to fit. If looking for bras, check out the reddit /abrathatfits for a more detailed list of measurements you need to properly determine size.

I do know how to sew, which makes it easy for me to alter instead of sending back. Mostly the issues are in the waist area - GG/H cup 32 band and junk in the trunk but only 5'1.5". Tunics to wear with leggings can be quickly altered with a couple well placed darts in the back so that I don't look like I'm wearing a tent but am not hiding my figure 'assets'. Ordering online has the benefit of finding clothing for little money - also spending less for something tends to make it easier to not freak out when the garment inevitably starts to fall apart. Do I wish that the simple cotton tees or knit dresses were made with the better, thicker materials like they were back in my not-so-long-ago college days? Absolutely. But wishing won't make it happen. We've traded more sturdy and long lasting retail goods we bought precisely because they would last for 'fast fashion' that meets customer demand for cheap and on trend with the disposable quality that keeps retailers in business.

The same thing has happened in nearly every category of retail goods - appliances, home decor, etc...We've been convinced that we must consume and buy the latest tech, the latest trend. Sometimes I can still find high quality clothing, but it comes at an equally high price - my Lands End all-weather coat would be one of those purchases. Same for my skirt suits for work bought at Nordstrom (which I like because they will do free alterations on clothing purchased at one of their locations). When paired with my latest crop of trendy cheap knit tops, the fact that I only have a few of those more expensive components like the skirts/pants/jackets is unnoticeable.