SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7388907

Help brightening walls with orange antique trim (undertones question)

User
6 years ago

Our 1850s Victorian has wood trim in most of the rooms. We did paint the trim in the dining room (but not the doors) and like how it looks but we want to keep the wood In the other rooms. The kitchen and bathrooms had whitentrim when we moved in.

Anway, the color of the walls is Bennington Gray on the whole first floor. It's a great color in lots of ways and while I dont feel like it's the best color in the world, it doesn't seem to clash. It is very interesting how different it looks in each room with the amount of light available. (See pics below)

Ok this is the issue...it has a LRV of 46.5 and that is ok on the sunny side of the house but not the living room. It just gets SO dark in there!

my goals are to lighten and brighten the space, as well as MINIMIZE the orange tones of the wood.

I love cool cool colors but they make the trim look even more orange. I'm not a fan of warm colors like reds and oranges and creams.

So is there a gray or greige or off white that I should be looking at right now that has the correct undertones for the space? I'm not even sure I know what undertones are the best to minimize the orange. But i know I want to stay away from pink.

And I hate sage green. With a passion.

do I just do Bennington gray at 50% ? Or go to natural linen or etiquette as they are lighter on the same strip as bennington gray? But do those have too orange of an undertone? What about SW white duck? I wish there was a color between sw incredible white and sw agreeable gray. I like that they have brown undertones.

And I much prefer BM paint so if it's SW it would be color matched, even though i know it's not a perfect process.

I'd love a color in the high 60s or very low 70s I think for the LRV.

dont worry about my furnishings. Then most important thing is to deal with the wood.

And ive read like every blog post out there writing about pairing paint with wood trim. So fresh ideas would be appreciated rather than quoting those sources.

Here are are some pics showing the wood and the Bennington gray in different rooms.

Comments (27)