SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalennoxa

Beautification Project: landscaping a City park site - help!

Okay Perennialists, I really could use your help on this one.

Somehow, I got roped in to working on a small team on behalf of a gardening group to help "beautify" a City-run site. How do these things happen? (I know how, I opened my big mouth!). The site was probably slightly landscaped at some time, as you can see from the pictures.

We have pretty much free reign at this point - we are presenting a basic plan to the City Councillor next week. Here are some details:

Zone: 6, location: Hamilton Ontario, Full Sun.

Budget: $500 (and possibly an additional $500 TBD)

Maintenance: The City is basically good at mowing lawns, not much else. So anything should ideally be able to fill in a spot nicely and strongly so that not too many weeds get in - because they won't know what to do!

Height: Should not obstruct the sign (so no higher than 4 feet)

Other: There is heavy foot traffic and the area is prone to inconsideration. So things need to be tough. The Councillor has offered to provide people to do any "cleanup" of the site before planting and I think the City is able to provide soil and mulch. Any plants that are already there can certainly be dug up and re-purposed.

We were kind of thinking that simple mass plantings of some perennials like brown eyed susans, coneflowers and native milkweed anchored with shrubbery would be a start. But would love to hear your suggestions!

Thank you.

Comments (14)