SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coniferbros

Gall Gardens 2017

coniferbros
6 years ago

OK, time for Gall Gardens 2.0. This is sort of a continuation from my previous thread: Gall Gardens 2016

Many of these photos I'm sure are a repeat of last year's thread. I just looked through my photos from this year a picked what I liked.

These are in no particular order, and I might not get them all posted tonight.

Feel free to comment, even criticisms (maybe I'll learn something :)

A note on spelling, I'm mostly going off memory so they may not be completely accurate.

Tsuga canadensis 'Cole's Prostrate':

New this year, Sciadopitys verticillata 'Picola' and friends.

Various conifers. I should mention that many of the smaller plants you see are not intended to be permanent homes. They are grown in the 'in between' spaces until they get larger to move to a new bed.

Does anybody else with a Sciadopitys 'Wintergreen' notice a narrow spire-like top on theirs? Mine is located in front of the Acer 'Bloodgood' towards the back left.

Another new one this year that i'm excited about. Picea abies 'Susan'. Supposed to become a very narrow specimen:

Comments (44)

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A larger transplant we did this spring. It was growing into some old elm tree roots and the root ball was disturbed more than I'd have liked. However, it has shown no signs that it was even disturbed.

Visited Davidsan's Japanese Maples in Springfield, IL in early March. Only intended to buy "a few things" and came back with this.

We'll call this haul #1

Another larger transplant for this year. Larix laricina 'Deborah Waxman'. Did not expect this much growth. So far so good on this transplant as well.

A shout out to Conifer Kingdom for having a fantastic selection of conifers! Order #1

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We made our first grafting attempt last winter. Overall happy with the results. Hopefully I'll have nice looking plants to post five years from now.

OK, the last big order. One of these days I'll stop ordering so many. Conifer Kingdom again on the right, and a handful from western evergreen on the left.

I don't have great confidence in this one surviving, but figured I'd give it a shot. Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears', nice yellow

I know I've posted this before, but these fernleaf peonies almost have a conifer look to them in the early spring. Heck, I like them better at this stage than when they're in bloom!

• Related Discussions

Gall Gardens 2016

Q

Comments (46)
    We certainly consider growth rates when designing beds. However, I use the term designing loosely. It isn't laid out on paper or anything (probably should be). We're guilty of buying and finding a place later. Most of the larger plants should be able to stay put indefinitely or at least a long while. That said, there are many plants that won't fit forever. I've got some pics coming where we've moved two large specimens this Spring. Also note, we plant small grafts in the landscape where they clearly won't fit forever. This simply allows us to grow them to a larger size and move them without having to take care of containers.
    ...See More

Garden tours, open gardens & garden club sales 2017

Q

Comments (13)
    When the owner was asked by another visitor if she would be open again next year, she grimaced about the amount of work but I have a feeling her gardens are that spectacular every year (and weed free). She said she bought the property across the road and was planning an apple orchard. I feel lucky to have gone this year. She recommended Christopher Lloyd's book on succession gardening. Danielle's sister's garden in Nashua used to be on Open Days several years ago although I visited when it was on the local garden tour to raise money for the symphony. She was at Danielle's when I visited. Said her garden had a lot of vole and rabbit damage this year so she has lost a lot of plants. She had already started downsizing her tropical collection she planted in pots and next year when her husband retires, they plan to do a lot of traveling. I don't think her garden will ever be open to the public again which is a shame because she gardens on a small suburban neighborhood lot with a steep backyard slope that's shady. No professional landscape designer but she did need some gardening help. Lucky you to have visited the Epsom garden 10 years ago so to know how much it has changed. Funny thing, I didn't notice the pollinators but I did notice how well the red in the red and cream sunflowers along the side of the garage marched the paint color. Comments were made that the dark red was a great back drop for all the colors. It was painted three years ago ... I wonder how the painters dealt with all the plants? Maybe it was fall.
    ...See More

2017 Roses in My Garden

Q

Comments (61)
    Very pretty roses Helen! I have The Wedgwood Rose that I got from DA earlier this year. It’s growing against a fence and has stayed small so far, but does produce those fragrant bloom clusters. Yours are spectacular! Also love my Charlotte tree standard! My own-root James Galway is about 8” tall in his first six months and seems quite reticent to grow. We’ll see what happens next year! Ann
    ...See More

Friday in the Garden - July 28, 2017 / Garden Visitors

Q

Comments (12)
    i have no water .. but am near natural ponds ... the turtles.. leave the ponds.. to come to my sand.. to lay eggs ... in late spring i have to watch out for the quarter sized babes returning to the ponds ... snapping and painted, i believe ... i also do duty.. by getting them off the road.. and heading them in the direction i hope they are going ... its kind of amazing how many peeps cant apparently see a 6 inch turtle in the road ... thx for the post ... very cool ken
    ...See More
  • coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This plant has several towers that appear to be competing for a prize. Picea pungens 'Schloss Herrenstein' which I believe partly translates to castle?

Pinus parviflora 'Catherine Elizabeth'

Just some water droplets on a Larix 'Pendula'

I thought these radially arranged candles looked cool, Picea abies 'Medusa'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cones on Picea jezoensis 'Howell's Dwarf'

Bright red cones on Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Tur

New hillside bed created this spring. That Larix 'Deborah Waxman' had to go somewhere. Many of the plants on this hillside were transplants from elsewhere in the yard.

One of my must have conifers, Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ACS conifer of the year Thuja occ. 'Islprim' and a baby version I found at a local nursery after ordering the Mama. Resembles a Cham. obtusa which is good because I don't have good results with them but love them.

An infestation of needle-eating insects (sawflies I think?) that were eating my pines, including longaeva, mugo, etc. A quick spray of Bifenthrin (spelling?) and they're toast. Another reason to take daily spring yard tours to catch things like this before they get out of hand.

We try to avoid buying larger specimens, but this 'Pendula Bruns' had my name on it, and the price wasn't bad.

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Picea orientalis 'Spring Frost'. This is before it's massive candle expansion. Stanley and Sons is a great source for affordable unique conifers in fresh graft size. Sure, you'll lose some, but they're so cheap you can afford to lose some.

Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' along with some Tiarella 'Spring Symphony'...excellent early spring bloomers.

The hosta garden. This area used to be all hostas, but have been mixing in some other stuff.

Picea pungens 'Ferrance Skirt'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Picea glauca 'Ketch Harbor'

Picea glauca 'Pendula', a must-have for any conifer garden IMO

Picea pungens 'Schloss Herrenstein' again

Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn'. Put on a nice display of sparkling second growth recently (no pic of that)

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't take a pic of this one in full glory, here is just before all the new candles opened. It also put out one heck of a leader after this pic was taken. Abies koreana 'Silberlocke'. This one really has me wanting a mature 'Kouhout's Icebreaker'. I have a little stanley graft that I can't wait for to get bigger.

Acer palmatum 'Moonrise' and Tsuga canadensis 'Burkette's Dwarf'. The Tsuga almost has a Cham. 'Chirimen' habit to it, does it not?

Picea glauca 'Pendula' taking center stage again

I love Bob Fincham's gold introductions, but the green parentage of 'Acrocona' is no slouch either

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A common one, but a good one. Picea abies 'Pendula' (or 'Reflexa' I guess).

Pinus aristata (species), this has taken my humid climate rather well. I do have it in sandy garden soil though.

Another Pinus aristata, this one 'Horstmann'. Fantastic combo of blue needles, white resin specs, and pointed buds

Picea orientalis 'Daureas'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pinus parviflora 'Fukazumi' and an Itoh peony

Not a conifer, but chances are if you like these weird conifers, you might like this. I've been wanting one of these for a while and found one. Acer platanoides 'Curly Lamp Post'. Not a great pic of the overall plant, but shows off it's dark green foliage that appears to have been sprayed with herbicide lol. Definitely not for everyone

Picea orientalis 'Shadow's Broom'

Picea pungens 'Glauca Procumbens'

Picea orientalis 'Aureospicata'. This puts on a spectacular show every spring.

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Water droplets on a hosta leaf, sorry I thought it looked cool.

'Aureospicata' again with friends

This bed started out at least 1/4 of the size it is now. Never planned to have this much garden

Probably my favorite new acquisition this year, Tsuga canadensis 'Greenwood Lakes'. I ordered this sight unseen and was pleasantly surprised. Very dense, very green (this pic has bright new growth). It was B&B so I figured it might decline for a few years, but it hasn't skipped a beat yet.

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bunny patrol. Haven't had rabbit problems since he's been here (knock on wood)

Garden view

Pinus nigra 'Hornibrookiana'

Just in time for Independence Day, this guy showed some fireworks with it's flashy second push, Picea abies 'Little Gem'

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Picked up a handful of different types of dwarf Tsuga cultivars about this size. This one intrigued me with its interesting weeping branches and blue tone.

Picea abies 'Lanham's Beehive'

That's it. Hope you enjoyed the tour. Hopefully we'll do it again next year.

• whaas_5a
    6 years ago

Dude, your're a maniac!

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing.

coniferbros thanked whaas_5a
  • Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    6 years ago

Wow! I will be back with more comments.

coniferbros thanked Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
  • plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

I've got criticism ,,,not enough plants

ha , ron

coniferbros thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

wow .....

coniferbros thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    6 years ago

So...

Did you mail order the fernleaf peonies? I have never seen those around me.

Is your profession something to do with landscaping or do you just rent the equipment in the spring/fall for "plant moving day"?

What is the Japanese maple behind the Silberlocke?

Your mugo jacobson, why is it a must have? Just something that you really like year round?

I like the new bed that you put in next to the steps. I think the new stone work blends seamlessly with the steps. Good job.

How did you determine the mulch beds vs using the rounded peble/river stone beds? Randomly or do you have plans for using more stone as $ permits?

Honestly, I am shocked that I couldn't find any weeds in your pics. The amount of beds that you have should yield some weeds but the pictures show immaculate atttention. Awesome job. Also, the pace that you are collecting with already such a large pallet of beds is impressive. Do you have an end goal of when you are done with adding beds? If I had this kind of collection, that would be the question that my wife would be asking me all the time so I want to hear your response so I can use it in 10 years :)

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Did you mail order the fernleaf peonies? I have never seen those around me.

No, I have only ever seen them at two nurseries. One of which is Hornbaker Gardens, which does mail order on hosta and daylily. You could probably get them to ship it if you really wanted one. Especially as a tuber in the fall.

Is your profession something to do with landscaping or do you just rent the equipment in the spring/fall for "plant moving day"?

We have a very small lawn/landscape business. So we do have quite a few "toys" to make things easier.

What is the Japanese maple behind the Silberlocke?

Acer palmatum 'Hubbs Red Willow'

Your mugo jacobson, why is it a must have? Just something that you really like year round?

It is just one of my personal favorites. It has a tufty growth habit almost resembling a bonsai. Nice thick green needles. And Mugo is super hardy.

How did you determine the mulch beds vs using the rounded peble/river stone beds? Randomly or do you have plans for using more stone as $ permits?

All beds are mulch unless there is a water runoff concern. I prefer not to work in the rock (much more difficult to re-arrange plants etc.). But heavy rains will wash the mulch away in certain areas, thus the rock.

Honestly, I am shocked that I couldn't find any weeds in your pics. The amount of beds that you have should yield some weeds but the pictures show immaculate atttention. Awesome job. Also, the pace that you are collecting with already such a large pallet of beds is impressive. Do you have an end goal of when you are done with adding beds? If I had this kind of collection, that would be the question that my wife would be asking me all the time so I want to hear your response so I can use it in 10 years :)

The beds certainly grow weeds, but it's not bad so long as they're kept up with. The beds get a fresh layer of mulch yearly, so that helps. They get roundup if needed, and a thorough hand-pulling probably twice a year (usually only takes a couple of evenings). And if I see weeds when walking by or mowing the lawn, I'll stop and pull. I think the mistake people make is letting the little ones go for too long and then it gets out of hand.

End goal: We have one more large bed planned on another hillside. Then most of the room on these properties will be occupied. Future goal is to buy some land in the country to move specimens to as they get too big. That's a ways down the road though. It's gonna be hard to stop collecting just because I run out of space :)

Thanks for the comments

• plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

this needs a bump

ron

coniferbros thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    6 years ago

I agree

coniferbros thanked Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    6 years ago

Gorgeous garden!

coniferbros thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    6 years ago

Beautiful and interesting!

I take it most if not all the trees need cold, I dont know anything about conifers, I take it Florida is not the place for a conifer garden?

coniferbros thanked SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
  • Garen Rees
    6 years ago

Absolutely spectacular!! I can't express how much I enjoy this. Love the continuation of the hillside bed. So much eye candy. I'll be coming back to this post for a while.

I've been searching for Acer Plantanoides 'Curly Lamppost' for years. Where did you get yours?

I've also been hunting for that fern leaf Peony since I saw your's last year. Still can't find it. I visited Blue Horizon Nursery in Michigan that had it in their display garden but unfortunately they didn't have any propagated. =(

Picea abies 'Little Gem' reliably pushes new growth twice a year for me. The second push is never much but the little pop of light green against the dark is always nice.

I also added a tiny Stanley graft of Picea orientalis 'Spring Frost' this spring. I was surprised how long it kept it's gold color before transitioning to green. It just recently faded to green.

Love the bunny patrol.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the drool material. =)

coniferbros thanked Garen Rees
  • brothergarm
    6 years ago

Simply awesome. I'll have to enjoy in greater detail when I can take a slower walk through your virtual garden tour!

coniferbros thanked brothergarm
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    6 years ago

Garen Rees, I believe Broken Arrow Nursery grow Acer Plantanoides 'Curly Lamppost'. Maybe try contacting them and find out when they will be available for online purchase. I'm interested in obtaining a 'Curly Lampost' as well.

• coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the bump Ron.

Thanks for the additional comments as well.

I'll see if I can answer the questions.

SweetMonkeyCheese. I am really not familiar with climates not similar to mine. But I'd guess you are correct that most of what I am growing you could not. Between needing the chill period and the heat and humidity. I'm sure there are some conifers that will grow there though, right?

Garen, I purchased my Curly Lamp Post from Davidsan's Japanese Maples in Springfield, IL. I picked it up in person, but they do ship. They only list 1 3gal available. They have larger sizes, but you won't want to pay what they're asking, the 3-gal is bad enough. Expensive buggers

Fernleaf peony, if you're ever passing though Illinois on I-80, stop at Hornbaker gardens in Princeton, IL They have a field of them that they harvest and containerize. Unfortunately, they're expensive too. I've never seen them for under $50 for a small #1.

• Garen Rees
    6 years ago

Thanks for the help. They will be mine, oh yes, they will. =)

Stewart, yeah I saw Broken Arrow had it available a few years ago and I've been kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when they had them. Coniferbros is right, they are pricey due to being difficult to propagate.

6 years ago

We have pine trees!!!!

NO JOKE!!!!

6 years ago

We have lots of this kind and I really like them... I love when they split into two!

but they can get big!!!

And how did they let this happen!!!

I have a small yard so even if there were a nice selection of trees like yours I would never be able to fit them, I would need mini ones!

• Embothrium
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Araucarias get much bigger than that. Itoh peonies come from Monrovia. They aren't Fern-leaf Peony, conventionally that is Paeonia tenuifolia.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/collections/itoh-peonies-plant-collection/

• juliaarugula
    6 years ago

Re: Fernleaf Peonies. I have one I bought this spring from McKinley's Nursery in Mishawaka, IN. Not $50 either - I think it was $20 for a gallon container, nice size. Not sure if you pass through here, but I can check to see if they still have any next time I visit (probably soon).

• sandraj2341
    6 years ago

Outstanding conifer garden!! Your garden will be my guide for my own conifer beds.

coniferbros thanked sandraj2341
  • plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

also check out gall 2016

ron

• riverwoodgardens
    6 years ago

Wow! Breathtaking. Spellbinding. If i ever go to Illinois, I would love to tour your gardens! Beautiful job... A garden to inspire!

On another note, there are several sources for fern leaf peonies in my area, both for single and double flowered varieties. That being said, they are nowhere near common. Many people have never even heard of them. And price? I've seen single flowered at $35 for a small 1gal, and double flowered are $70-75 for a 1 gal, CDN funds.

coniferbros thanked riverwoodgardens
  • alley_cat_gw_7b
    6 years ago

That's one of the best residential landscapes I've seen..,for my taste. What a beautiful enchanting place with amazing material....keep up the good work. Stunning!

Al

coniferbros thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • scottih_z8FL
    6 years ago

Wow.... and wow! Truly fabulous is your garden and organization. I am just starting a conifer garden and as have been collecting for the last few years big and small. Now for the planting and labeling..... which leads me to the question; Where do you order your display tags? They look sharp but affordable.

coniferbros thanked scottih_z8FL
  • coniferbros
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to all above for the kind words.

Scott - I get my tags from Kincaid Plant Markers. I chose the signature plant markers, 10" P-style. Less than a buck each, I figure they should last a LONG time. I print the label on brother TZe tape 1" white print on black label. Most people use the clear tape, personal preference. If a plant dies, I just stick a new label on top of the old, easier than peeling the old one off. You reminded me I need to order more for next year.

• scottih_z8FL
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info! Definitely like the white on black, makes it look like black sheet fiberglass with engraved white lettering! Very sharp! Now if you could only make all those beautiful conifers grow in my Z8 hot/humid Florida environment............

• GreenLarry
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That Picea pungens 'Schloss Herrenstein' with upright cones, 13th pic. I thought all spruces have depending cones, and firs have upright cones...

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    6 years ago

No Larry, Here's a photo from this spring of one of my pungens growing here in zone 7

• GreenLarry
    6 years ago

A spruce with fir cones!

• clement_2006
    6 years ago

Before pollinisation, all picea cones (female flowers) are upright.