SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

2017 Roses in My Garden

Here are some roses in my garden. Please enjoy. Helen

Comments (61)

• aprilscott12
    6 years ago

Simply amazing photography of such gorgeous roses!!! Beautiful beautiful post. Please do share some picture taking tips!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked aprilscott12
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you everyone. Here are some photo notes from my personal experience.

A sharp image will make the roses pop really well. When taking photos, try to hold your camera steady. If you have a hard time doing it, using a tripod will help a lot. Another tip I learned to help reducing the shaking when you take your photos is because when we breath our hands also move which makes our camera moves, so to fix that problem after you look in the preview LCD screen and happy with it and ready to press the button to take the photo, breath in, hold it, and press the button to take the photo. When done, then you can breath out :)

Whether you take your photos through the view finder or the LCD screen, when you first look through it, check to see if there is anything that distracts you from the rose whether they are some yellow leaves or branches, move them out of the way or trim them unless you intentionally want to show a photo of a shy rose that hides behind something.

Take your photos early in the morning when the sun is not too strong. When the sun is too strong, the colors in the photos often look washout and harsh. I also like to take photos in the morning because the flowers look rested and there's no wind in my garden at that time. In the afternoon, the flowers often look tired after a whole day under the sun. Hope these tips help you. Helen

• Related Discussions

Sacramento Historic Rose Open Garden April 2017

Q

Comments (11)
    Well - it's hard to look up my overalls - but let me tell you that we have over 300 plants already waiting for the spring sale, some of them in varieties we haven't offered before including some that aren't in the cemetery at all. Several hundred more are in the misting table but not yet ready to pot up. Open Garden is Apr 8, We will have a catalog out several weeks in advance but can give some preliminary teasers well before that. As we did the last couple of years, we'll make a list of everything that we plan to sell and post it in advance as well. Our catalog usually just has roses in larger quantities or especially rare/desireable ones that are going to be on the Silent Auction table - the inclusive list has the caveat that they may not be on the table at all, or may be sold out completely. BTW - I am Cemetery Rose, the curator of the garden. If you are a FB user, "like" and follow the Sacramento Historic Rose Garden for info about what we are doing and some nice photos too.
    ...See More

My Bulb Garden 2017 - Updates

Q

Comments (15)
    Not much new, just things still growing. 2/26 freesia, so far I am loving how gratifying they are right out the gate! I hope they bloom with as much energy. just a wide shot for hopeful before and afters. I think the little ones that got half eaten are doing OK. (Top pic it is in bottom right corner and next is a closer view) I think I have a Narcissus coming up! The 1st of the group, pretty please may they all come up despite the very late planting! It gives me hope! A fallen soldier... Dead center, something bit one side, it is still attached so maybe it can still grow? (The one with no shadow Infront of it) anemone seems to be growing, but some bare spots. I think this is grass and not Starflower Charlette Bishop, but I rather leave it for fear if I pull it I am wrong. Another wide shot for hopeful before and afters. The one I sprayed with fertilizer and burnt.. yea it is not looking so good. But maybe with time it can recover. I have several that have not popped up at all, but are supposed to be summer bloomers so I am thinking they might need more time.
    ...See More

My Maryland garden, 2017

Q

Comments (73)
    Gorgeous! My First Crush has not had a second flush yet, but I think it was attacked by midges. Seems like even in good conditions like yours that it is slow to repeat. My cream veranda is even smaller than yours but it has a bud. Yours is so cute.
    ...See More

Jersey Shore Rose Society Annual Rose Show, September 16, 2017

Q

Comments (1)
    An excellent show, with national "Top Gun" exhibitors. 2017 JSRS Rose Show Photos
    ...See More
  • aprilscott12
    6 years ago

Thanks so much Helen. I need to invest in a good camera! The phone camera is convienient and takes decent ones but not even comparable to your shots! I do have a birthday coming up hmmmmm. Lol. If you don't mind me asking, what brand do you have?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, a good camera with high quality lens will make a big difference in the quality of your photos. I agree with you about the phone camera :)

My camera is Canon T5i. It is an entry-level SLR camera. I love its LCD touch screen. I have had it for a few years. They have a newer model in the market now. Helen

• aprilscott12
    6 years ago

Thanks so much Helen!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Your roses look amazing! Abracadabra & stranger are both super interesting in pattern. I planted jubilee celebration this spring, the blooms have surprised me. Such a vigorous grower & large blooms. My sceptre'd isle is also new. The blooms have a 1/3 of the petals yours show. Would love to see more photos of your garden, hint hint! Maybe whole bush & bed shots.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

Thanks for the advice and the beautiful roses

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
    6 years ago

Jawdroppingly beautiful photos...as usual!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the tips Helen! I need to try in the morning. I always take mine as the sun goes down but sometimes my colors are off and that drives me crazy. And you are right they can look tired !

I also have a canon , eos rebel.,I love it ! But I wish I spent more on the version that sends your pics via wifi . I didn't think that was a big deal but it would be nice .

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Beautiful roses and photography. Thank you for sharing your tips.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

What beautiful blooms! I always enjoy seeing the photos you share - thanks for the treat!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Dave5bWY
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Lilyfinch, I heard there are some memory cards that have wifi capability so you can look that up to see if they will work for you.

Here are some bush photos.

Crown Princess Margarita in a pot ready to be put in the ground. Such a healthy and beautiful plant. I bought it bare root early this year.

Scepter'd Isle

Neil Diamond and Carding Mill

Julia Child tree rose and Whimsy mini

Peace

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

wow such beautiful and healthy roses !

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked pink rose(9b, FL )
  • towandaaz
    6 years ago

Woah! And WOW!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked towandaaz
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Wow! Thank you for bush shots! You have a lovely garden.

Are the blooms of JC small or the blooms of Whimsy really large for a mini? I am always on the lookout for short bushes.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked totoro z7b Md
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

I've never seen Peace look as nice as yours does

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. Those bush shots were taken with my iPhone.

Totoro, the size of whimsy's blooms in the first photo is about right. In the second photo of JC and whimsy, whimsy is closer to the camera which makes its blooms look much bigger compared with JC's blooms. Helen

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Bayareagirl - Holey Moley - can you ever grow gorgeous roses!! Those are all stunning!!! I can hardly believe what your roses look like!!! I would love to say personal things about the roses I love....but that would be every single rose and would keep me typing for far too long. I am so grateful to have seen your pics!!

Carol - drool and swoon

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked rosecanadian
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A few more...

Abraham Darby, still young in my garden but always produces gorgeous blooms.

Ambridge Rose, beautiful blooms, nice fragrance and great repeat. It was on my not-to-buy list because it's susceptible to powdery mildew (main disease in my coastal garden) but when I saw the blooms at the nursery, I thought it would be worth the trouble. It's a blooming fool, LOL. The plant is still small and it constantly produces more blooms than it can support which may make it more susceptible to diseases so I just need to give it extra care.

Candice rose, bred by Delbard. Excellent garden rose, very healthy, beautiful striped blooms and great repeat

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh I love your Candice!!! And I love the different looks it has! All of your roses are beautiful here, but Candice is just extra special!!

Carol

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    6 years ago

Wow, soo beautiful. It is so hot in the valley that my hybrid tea roses are bloomingly sparingly like single petaled knockouts. I can't wait till fall.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

I love the look of Ambridge rose. Do the petals drop quickly on the bush? Does it make a good cut rose?

I don't generally like striped roses, but Candice is an exception.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

totoro, Ambridge Rose will last about 5 days on the bush and 3-4 days in a vase. It is considered as "GOOD+" for cutting on HelpMeFind. Helen

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    6 years ago

My goodness girl!! Your roses and photography are amazing! Thanks so much for your tips. My hubby bought me a new camera a few years ago and I'm thinking it has the wifi option so I need to pull that baby back out. I agree the phone is just so convenient but I'd love some shots to be special like yours. Thanks so much for sharing!! Judy

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting more overall rose shots. I love that julia child standard tree & candice. I can't grow either here because of the cold winters. All of your plants look so healthy & lush!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Judy and HalloBlondie. Judy, I always admire yours and Judy's gardens. They look amazing. My front yard is done but my back yard is still a mess. However, I was so busy with work so I don't mind the mess in the back yard and just slowly put the roses in pots to the ground as time allows. Helen

• kings_rose
    6 years ago

wow, very nice

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked kings_rose
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Stunning!!! Candice!!!! The one that got away. : ( OT, Helen, do you have a source for the orbs on your front pillars or have they always been there?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

vaporvac, the orbs are already there when we bought the house. I think it won't be too hard to find them. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some more...

Geoff Hamilton, first year bare root in my garden. Still need to find time to put it in the ground.

Huntington Rose, 2nd year bare root in a pot.

Jude The Obscure, 1st year bare root from David Austin. Very healthy. Love it.

After waiting a long time for Osiria rose, I finally have it own root this year. It produces gorgeous fragrant blooms. It has some mildew in my garden but I think it's just a minor thing for such a beautiful rose. Love it.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And a few more...

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Bayareagirl - Those are absolutely amazing!!! They deserve a SWOON SWOON!! (a double swoon) :)

Carol

• mmmm12COzone5
    6 years ago

Love all the photos but especially the full bush photos. I wish everyone who posted a close up also posted a full bush photo for newbies like me.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

So so beautiful! I can't get over how nice your photos are. Not to mention the gorgeous roses themselves!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone.

@mmmm12 the reason I didn't post many full bushes because many of my roses are still very young or some are older but being rooted bound in 5-gal nursery pots since I was too busy with work to put them in the ground. So to evaluate a rose bush based on its look in my current garden condition is not fair to the rose :) I will post more full bushes once they are in the ground. You can find a lot of full bush shots and helpful comments at helpmefind.com from people who have more mature rose bushes than me :)

Also my current interests in roses are for cuttings and photography so if a rose is unique and beautiful I don't mind if it has an unattractive bush form. Helen

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I just wanted to let you know, that I've come back to your thread several times, because of the gorgeous photos. You have many beautiful roses and you take great quality photos of them. I love Stranger and Candice. I could kick myself for not ordering them when I had the chance, especially Candice. I have also been considering Molineux for quite a while. I don't have much yellow, and I like the smaller size. I just hope it does well in my dry heat. I find Marriotta very beautiful, and I'm totally unfamiliar with this one, so I'm going to investigate.

Also, thanks for the tip about inhaling and holding while taking a picture. It has helped me SO much! That one little tip stuck in my head, and now I do it every time. Thank you. Lisa

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lisa Adams
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Lisa, if your research shows Molineux will do well for you, and I suspect it will, don't hesitate. It's become one of my favorites this year, giving me multiple blooms on a tiny plant that smells so fruity. It's a new rose smell for me, but it's the colour gradations that grab me and I used to shy away from that palette.

Marriotta has another on in her family. I'll have to refresh my memory as she's on my long-term must-have list. I agree, the photography on this post is fabulous. Please post some of them to HMF.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the kind words.

Kristine, you are very sweet :)

Lisa, I'm glad the photography tip helps you. We have worked so hard to have some precious blooms and it is a pleasure to be able to enjoy them through our photos. Marriotta is a very healthy rose in my garden. I think you will enjoy having it. Helen

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Abracadabra, I wanna reach out and grab ya. Lol and I think I need Candace. It never ends does it

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some more... :) Helen

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

BayareaGirl - those are some exceptionally lovely shots!!! I really love the fluourescence (sp?) of Wedgeworth!!! Stranger is a gorgeous rose!!! Wish I had it! There's something incredible about your picture of Charlotte!!! Well done!

Carol

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

More gorgeous photos!!

Carol, Burling carries STRANGER. Not sure if she has any available... but it can't hurt to email or call her!!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked bethnorcal9
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you rosecanadian and Beth. I just bought The Wedgwood Rose from Regan big September sale and have been very happy with it. The flowers are absolutely gorgeous and so different than other David Austin roses.

I got my Stranger from Burling too from Beth’s recommendation. I remembered telling myself that if I had a choice of one rose from Beth’s garden, I will pick Stranger, lol. Helen

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Thanks, Beth - but I don't want to order from the states...too much hassle and it's expensive. :)

Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

Very pretty roses Helen! I have The Wedgwood Rose that I got from DA earlier this year. It’s growing against a fence and has stayed small so far, but does produce those fragrant bloom clusters. Yours are spectacular!

Also love my Charlotte tree standard! My own-root James Galway is about 8” tall in his first six months and seems quite reticent to grow. We’ll see what happens next year!

Ann

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Ann. I always love to see your Austin roses. Helen

• john smolowe
    4 years ago

hi helen - i live on the peninsula. do you have a source for candice? - john

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked john smolowe
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi John, currently there's no source for Candice in the US. I got mine from Ludwig's Roses when they opened a branch in Arizona for a short time. Unfortunately, they closed that branch. Helen

• john smolowe
    4 years ago

thank you. - john

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked john smolowe