SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26461266

Wire mesh to prevent chipmunks from digging tunnels

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I have read several threads on chipmunk control and I don't want to have a debate about giving them the Jimmy Hoffa treatment. I am more interested in what might be called witness protection/relocation. Normally, I wouldn't mind them in my hood, but they are now deciding the lawn and gardens are not enough, they are getting into walls. We have to stop it.

So given that, we are live trapping the cute little critters and moving them to a very heavily wooded area over 7 miles away.

Once we think we have them all relocated (they are living in a den right next to my foundation in a courtyard garden area), we want to try some preventative measures. Hence, my question:

I have found this wire product that I can lay over the ground and then cover with topsoil/mulch. https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-by-project/pest-control.

My assumption is that if I can prevent them digging, then part of the problem is solved. Never going to get rid of the mafia completely, but I do hope to make them find a new avenue of "employment".

Has anyone used something similar? Chicken wire? Window screen? Any luck?

And again I don't want to discuss killing them.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery