SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dalepeppers

Over Pruned Trees - How to Fix?

Dr Peppers
6 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm reaching out here because I can't seem to find answer to my question anywhere else. I have 2 Pecan Trees and 1 Arizona Ash and all are probably 40 yrs old. Unfortunately, after a bad choice of tree "doctor", all 3 specimens were severely over pruned last growing season. I have one of the worst cases of "broccoli tree" I have ever seen - the canopy was raised so high that the trees resemble broccoli stems. As you can see in the photos the tree birthed multiple water sprouts just to survive, which actually masks a little just how bad the trees look. I am just sick about it and have a feeling there is nothing I can do except leave the trees undisturbed for several growing seasons to see if the trees will self-repair a little by some miracle. Are these trees lost? Will they ever look normal again? What are the recommendations?

I've seriously just wanted to cut down the trees and plant new trees. That solution seems like such a waste (and is probably not allowed by city rules?) but I sometimes think I have no other option if I want nice-looking and healthy trees again. To be honest, I am gun-shy and don't even want to call another tree company - who can I trust? I didn't know any better at the time when I hired a tree crew, and I trusted them completely. After lots of reading, it sounds like I should have consulted a certified arborist. LESSON LEARNED the very hard way. This type of tree abuse should be a crime and someone besides the trees and me should pay, right??! How do these idiots get a chainsaw? Maybe I'm overreacting? - call me out on that, too, if needed. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)