SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reburns

Good small submersible pump brands?

reburns
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

G'day,

Considering switching a vegetable garden drip system from tap water to natural spring, and am looking for suggestions on who makes suitable lower-flow pumps with sufficient head pressure. Ideally, I'd like a low-voltage DC pump that I can run off a solar panel and minimize the risk of any electrical fire. Tap water here is very expensive.

Stats:
1) Vertical lift needed: 40' vertical max, more realistically less than 30'. (i.e. 15-20 psi).

2) Pressure required for drip to work = 10psi. It's this stuff and doesn't work right below about 7psi:
https://www.irrigationdirect.com/product/17mm-x-250-dripline-12-spacing-12-gph-pc-in-line-emitters-brown-tubing-dd-det17-512-250

3) Total emitters about 400, which makes for 200GPH or 3.33GPM.

4) Given that flow rate and hose diameters at say 150' total run from the spring, the pressure drop will be 3-4.5psi.

4) That makes the total requirement 3.33GPM maintained at 35psi.

5) The garden is a rectangle, and the drip line is arranged in 14 rows about 30' per tubing length from a PVC manifold. That means each tubing stick gets 15GPH or 0.25GPM. What that means is that if the pump or water spring can't deliver the whole 3.33GPM at 35psi then I can put a timer valve to pump only part of the garden at a time to accommodate wimpy pressure-flow.

Last, I'm in a wildfire area so need protection against electrical fire. No sense saving $ on water only to burn the place down. I think that's it, and attached is a pic of the garden.

Comments (2)