SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemilkbottles

Fountain pump clogging 170 gallon small pond- Help!

ilovemilkbottles
16 years ago

I have a very small 170 gallon pond system I bought at Sams Club 6 years ago. It has a large tub (bottom) and a small upper tub with waterfall (top). The only thing it came with is a small pump with fountain attachment. The tube that sucks the water in is covered by a round cylinder foam sponge. Of course, I didn't get enough water pressure from the fountain pump to run the waterfall (only a trickle) so I bought a second pump that does 300 gph and ran it from the bottom right up to the top so now I have good waterflow. My problem is when the weather warms up and we get alot of sun, that sponge filter clogs up all the time and I am every other day pulling it out and cleaning it. I would like to still have the small fountain head but need something that doesn't need to be rinsed out every other day. Any thoughts? I would really like to go to an external small filter and still keep my fountain but would use something submersible that doesn't clog up all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Again, it is a small 170 gallon pond.

Comments (31)