SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Which grout color for white subway tile in shower?

bac717
6 years ago

We are using white subway tile in two sizes, separated by a cornice piece, on our shower walls. The designer we're working with is recommending Mapei "Frost" for the grout. I was picturing all white, but am open to idea of the Frost which is a very light grey. I have done some looking around and have found a variety of pictures of white subway with Mapei "Frost" grout, but pictures and IRL can look entirely different. The grout lines are 1/16" (self-spacing) and we will be using unsanded grout. I've read that typically unsanded grout will dry lighter than the sample. I know I'm overthinking every decision in this project, but I would love to hear about you first hand experience with white subway in a shower and white vs. light grey grout.

PS I CANNOT wait for this project to be finished. We are just starting week 4 of a project we were told would take 3 weeks. The shower walls are not completely tiled yet and the shower floor and room floor still need to be done.

Comments (38)

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

I feel your pain. Just when I thought I was done making decisions I too was asked what grout color.

My suggestion is to buy the frost color and white. Bring them both home and put a couple of subway tiles together and pour the dry grout in between. I know the color will vary a little but it should give you an idea.

White grout will give you a uniform look while a soft gray color will be much more noticeable. I prefer a uniform look but I've seen lots of pretty spaces that have contrasting grout colors.

bac717 thanked FeatherBee
  • bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My thoughts exactly. I like crisp white, but the designer is saying the white grout can yellow over time. Mapei has two colors in the white family - Avalanche and White. I still have a little time to mull this over, since the shower floor has not yet been tiled, as well as the room floor. The floors will be a fairly light grey, so maybe the very light grey grout is what I should use. I just don't want the grout lines to be too noticeable. I'm very hard to please, I think I'm really testing the patience of our designer.

• Related Discussions

Need grout color for steam shower-marble with white subway

Q

Comments (3)
    there is a new product made by HB Fuller under the TEC brand it's called Power Grout, does not change colors, does stain, nor need sealing, I tried to stain it with a marker and it would not stain. in my opinion it is the best grout made to date worth looking into. good luck on your project Here is a link that might be useful: power grout
    ...See More

White vs gray grout for white subway tiles in shower

Q

Comments (4)
    I like the contrasting gray grout, but for resale (in my area - mostly 100 year old homes, HCOL) I'd definitely go with matching (white) grout (well, just a bit off white to hide dirt). While many do like the gray grout on white tile, plenty are turned off by it. I doubt many buyers would be actually turned off by white grout on white tile. Its just 'safer,' at least according to real estate agents where I live (I asked many when I was doing my master bath). And, if the tile work isn't very straight, the contrasting color will magnify that problem. With similar color grout you won't notice tile issues as much. I guess the best thing to do - if you are concerned about resale - is ask a real estate broker in your town. HTH!
    ...See More

Shower: White subway, white grout, marble floor

Q

Comments (3)
    The secret to less maintenance with grouted tiles of any color is using grout properly mixed in order for it to not be porous. A grout mixed soupy will be porous versus a grout mixed to a thick consistency. As the grout dries air bubbles come up through the grout leaving pin holes to trap dirt and hard to get clean. It is very difficult to properly seal a porous grout.
    ...See More

Grout color white subway tile

Q

Comments (3)
    Other side, no tile going here
    ...See More
  • hcbm
    6 years ago

I have white subway with white grout. It is 12 years old no yellowing. It is regular grout, not epoxy. I once had white epoxy grout on a backsplash and it yellowed in less than a year. You really should have a test board made to see if it is exactly what you like.

bac717 thanked hcbm
  • bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure the designer will not be happy with me, but I'd really like to see the Frost grout and the White grout before I make a decision.

Edited to add - I just googled 'does white grout turn yellow' and found this thread about white grout turning yellow. Maybe I would be safer with the very light grey.

Help - white grout turning yellow

• hcbm
    6 years ago

You are paying a lot of money for the designer and construction. You have to live with whatever you decide. If the designer is not happy I would remind her/him of that fact. I would search for photos of subway with gray grout and ask for a sample board before I made any decisions. You have to live with this for a long time.

bac717 thanked hcbm
  • FeatherBee
    6 years ago

I used Mapei's white grout a couple years ago. It hasn't yellowed. But my shower called for while grout and white grout only.

My contractor tried showing me "antique white" but it looked yellow next to my white tile.

I have never cleaned the white grout above my sink and it's still white.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

"I just don't want the grout lines to be too noticeable"

Light gray seems like it could be the easy answer, but I'm telling you, if you have a white subway tile, even a soft gray will "pop" from the white tile. Just how "noticeable" will this be? Well, to each their own.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

Samples

gray grout

Now I do like this sample - it seems to be the perfect gray that doesn't stand out too much. Of course lighting and real life may look different. It shows the grout is from Lowes color is ""silver shadow"

• bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago

FeatherBee - The second picture of samples of grey grout is very similar to what we're doing. We have the 3X6 on top with a 4X16 on the bottom. That grout looks a little darker than the 4th picture (which I agree with you looks like the perfect grey, but may not look like that IRL!). I like the white grout in your shower. However, our tile is very white and honestly, when I held up my tile to the Mapei White grout stick at the tile store, as well as the Mapei Avalanche grout stick, they both looked slightly yellow. The designer keeps telling me I have to trust her on the choice of the Frost grout.

• kats737
    6 years ago

I have had both. I greatly prefer the non-white color that I have in our upstairs bath vs the white grout downstairs. It is so much easier to keep looking fresh and clean with a little color in the grout.

bac717 thanked kats737
  • bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago

kats - would you be able to post pictures of the tile in your two bathrooms???

• suser123
    6 years ago

Pictures would be very helpful. But one good thing is once it is all tiled you can stand back and get a really good idea how the grey grout would look. As the ungrouted space between tile will look like grey grout from a distance.

bac717 thanked suser123
  • bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In case anyone is still following this thread, I finally have a sample of the Mapei "Frost" with the white subway tile. It's not white (of course), but it's pretty subtle.

• kats737
    6 years ago

Sorry bac717, it didn't tag me before.

Here they are. First is Tec Dove Gray, with 'historical white' tile. (The wall color in person is much closer to the color of the tile)

this is generic white tile with traditional Maipei white grout, 9 years old and I haven't done much cleaning on it lately.

bac717 thanked kats737
  • mayflowers
    6 years ago

He's advertising his drains! Lol!

The Frost looks nice, bac. Do you like it?

bac717 thanked mayflowers
  • PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    6 years ago

I've always recommended a slightly off white grout. Usually from Mapei, it's been Warm Grey, Silver Shadow from Laticrete, or Platinum from Custom. But the Frost accomplishes the very same end-- to show the brick pattern without overpowering it so that all you see is the grout.

bac717 thanked Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
  • bac717
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the Frost grout more than I thought I would. I was afraid it would be darker,

• Savannah Lee
    6 years ago

I know this is a few months old but do you have a finished photo of how your shower turned out? Did you use Frost? I am about to start tiling my shower with white 3x6 subway tiles and my aunt( after receiving advice from her designer) thinks I should go with white grout but I'm concerned it'll look dirty quickly so I was thinking of using frost since it seemed like a very subtle grey.

• heartlyhome
    6 years ago

Hi Savannah, I am in the same boat, I'm worried the white will discolour over time and I don't want to be cleaning grout more than I have to. I'm even considering going with black grout as I have black tap fittings and a black bath....

• PRO
    6 years ago

Going with Laticrete's Silver Shadow, Mapei's Warm Gray, or Custom's Platinum will do exactly what you're looking to do.

• PRO
    6 years ago

This is grouted with warm gray:

• Arkansas Resident
    5 years ago

I think white tile, including subway tile, with white grout looks too much like a hospital or other institution. The light gray grout, in my view, just disappears and makes white tile look clean and warm and shows off the subway tile desigh. When I look at it, I don't see the gray, I just know I've got subway tiles.

• Mai
    5 years ago

Hi Bill - Did you also use the Mapei warm gray on the black and white octagon and dot floor or is that a darker grout?

• PRO
    5 years ago

No, we actually used Mapei silver for that.

• PRO
    Empire One Renovations Ltd.
    5 years ago
    since is in a shower, I will stay away from white grout unless u would clean it regularly and do your diligence on keeping it seal. otherwise you will find your white grout wanting to change it's color on you. light Grey, warm Grey and silver are my choice of colors there.
  • kel_kat5
    3 years ago

Years later, but does anyone have pictures of white subway with white vs frost grout in the kitchen? We are using Shadebrick! I would love to know what you decided, as your post came up when I did my search.

• Runnermom
    3 years ago

I am also curious about what people on this thread chose and would Love to see pics!

in case this helps anyone, I took a picture of sample Mapei grout colors.

Top left is iron

Top right is cobblestone

Bottom left is avalanche

Bottom right is Frost

I am planning to use Frost at the recommendation of a kitchen designer But I’d love to hear from personal experiences.

thanks!

• Dina Jacobs
    3 years ago

Hi & HELP!!!!!!!

In my master bath, I will have shiny white subway tile in shower and shiny white penny tile on floor. Was planning to do Mapei's Avalanche on walls of shower (subway tile) and a very light gray on penny tile floors.

I'm torn between Mapei's Frost or Warm Gray (for floors)

Frost seems maybe a bit too cool and warm gray seems a bit beige-y.

This will be my vanity below and the stone countertop is white like below with a bit of gray and beige veining. Which color grout would you go with for the penny tile? The frost or warm gray?

Thanks!

• Dina Jacobs
    3 years ago

Hi & HELP!!!!!!!

In my master bath, I will have shiny white subway tile in shower and shiny white penny tile on floor. Was planning to do Mapei's Avalanche on walls of shower (subway tile) and a very light gray on penny tile floors.

I'm torn between Mapei's Frost or Warm Gray (for floors)

Frost seems maybe a bit too cool and warm gray seems a bit beige-y.

This will be my vanity below and the stone countertop is white like below with a bit of gray and beige veining. Which color grout would you go with for the penny tile? The frost or warm gray?

Thanks!

• Rebecca N
    3 years ago

Thank you Runnermom for that pic!!!!

• blaiser333
    2 years ago

@Runnermom OMGosh, that photo of the 4 grouts next to each other is AMAZING!!! It's so tough picking colors (I have to pick grout for 2 different floor tiles and a shower tile, ahhhhh) and this really helped!!!!

Anyone else have any REAL LIFE pics of any grey/white grouts from Mapei??

:-)

• Katherine Loftiss
    2 years ago

Runnermom what size grout spacer did you use?

• Katherine Loftiss
    2 years ago

@runnermom

• Runnermom
    2 years ago

I’m not sure of the grout spacing - it’s very minimal. I also did frost colored grout for my kitchen backsplash and love how it turned.

• Jess M
    last year

Love the tile and whole kitchen Runnermom! Can you share the tile size and name?

• aordway
    last year

Also for Runnermom, love the penny tiles. Would you share the tile source? Thanks!

• Runnermom
    last year

All of the tile I used for my bathrooms and kitchen came from RAI Design in Garden City, NY. Specifically I used their light blue penny round tile in the shared bathroom and for my backsplash in the kitchen I used their tile called “Soho”. The “Soho” tile dimensions are labeled as 2x10 but the actual measurements of the tile are about 2.25x9.75. Not too big or too small and the white color is not too bright so as to compete with my white cabinets. I looked at SO MANY white tiles and this one was the best dimensions and color, and rather inexpensive, too. I highly recommend RAI if you are not too far from NY.