SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

Earth-Kind roses at the Columbus Park of Roses (Ohio)

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just thought I'd give a brief re-cap of my mid-June visit this year and last. 2016 was extrememely hot and fairly dry in the 90s. This year it was only in the eighties and very humid with downpours. The blooms were earlier 2017, as well. Z5a. I'll write on the soil when I find the info.

I did want to address the issue of the EarthKind designation as it was argued last year that this could not be one as they are only in Tx. I'm just going from the CPoR's website where it states this is the northernmost Earthkind trial site, so I think it has to follow those guidelines. It is also the first public EK site outside of the deep south. A map and list of plantings can be found here: http://www.parkofroses.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Rose-List7.5.16.pdf Ctrl 'F' to search for those with the EK designation.

I have few notes from last year because everything looked really spent and I could barely see myself wanting to grow any of these. Thinking back, it's probably because no one dead-heads these roses, so many varieties that hold their petals like clumps of wet tissue paper looked awful. It did help me realized I don't want that issue with climbers.
There are many Kordes and Buck roses amongst the offerings and this year many things looked much better. Bare in mind, many things were past their prime already.

Here are my comments on the standouts only:
All the Knock-Outs and most of the Ping Lim roses looked quite good and of the Bucks (most of which looked spindly), Quietness was a standout. There was also a gorgeous un-named true yellow that may have been a Bucks which I'm trying to ID from pictures. Music Box, Buff Beauty, and Belinda's Dream were outstanding as was Reve d'Or and Jasmina. The latter is also fragrant and drops its peatal cleanly. La Marne also ranked and was very robust. Most of the others were just so-so or had already bloomed and didn't make an impressive plant on their own. I realize this garden depends on volunteer help for its upkeep, so no disrespect is meant by my comments. It's just a good thing I have this forum to see what is possible organically and with little intervention or I might have given up!

P.S. All their perennials, especially the Tickseed Coreopsis and gorgeous Asclepias looked great among the roses and were extremely vigorous, so much so they blocked many of the paths! : )

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!