SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianemgarrett

columbus ohio plant swap/potluck sat.sept.17, 05

dianemgarrett
18 years ago

COLUMBUS OHIO PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK SAT. SEPTEMBER 17, 2005

DATE: SEPTEMBER 17, 2005 (TELL YOUR FRIENDS)

TIME : 10:00 - 3:00 SHELTER HOUSE # 4 (NO ELECTRIC) PLACE: HILLIARD MUNICIPAL PARK ON VETERANS MEMORIAL DR., HILLIARD, OHIO. TAKE OUTERBELT , I-270 & GO WEST, GETTING OFF AT CEMEMTERY EXIT (TOWARDS HILLIARD) 2 MILES UNTIL RIGHT PAST MAIN ST. (A TRAFFIC LIGHT). AT THIS POINT YOU STILL GO STRAIGHT BECAUSE CEMETERY RD. ENDS- TURN RIGHT ONTO SCIOTO DARBY RD. TURN LEFT AT VETERANS MEMORIAL DR. GO INTO PARK & TURN LEFT THE FIRST LEFT ( GO AROUND A WHILE) TO SHELTER HOUSE # 4. ITÂS A LARGER SHELTER HOUSE.

TRADING MATERIALS : PLANTS, WELL-ROOTED CUTTING IN POTTED UP, BULBS, SHRUBS, GARDEN ORNAMENTS OR JUNK ART, GAREN MAG. BUNDLED, & BOOKS. PLEASE MARK CONTAINERÂS WITH KIND OF FLOWER PLUS SUN OR SHADE. USE OLD CONTAINERS & PLASTIC FORK WITH PERMANENT

POTLUCK: I DONÂT KNOW WHICH IS BEST THE FOOD OR PLANT SWAP. PLEASE BRING A DISH TO SHARE+UTENSILS (MARK YOUR NAME) AND ANY BEVERAGE. I WILL PROVIDE PLATES, CUPS & NAPKINS.

10:00 - 12:00 PEOPLE ARRIVE, SIGN IN WITH NAME & NUMBER OF PLANTS,GET A NAME TAG, SIGN-UP FOR DOOR PRIZE, PUT YOUR TRADE PLANTS IN THEIR AREAS. VISIT WITH OTHER FRIENDLY GARDENERS & VIEW ALL THE WONDERFUL TRADES. THIS SWAP IS PATTERENED AFTER BEVERLY & MIMI SWAP. THEY HAD 125 PEOPLE & OVER 2,800 PLANTS. THANKS SO MUCH YOUR TIME & PLANNING. WE ALL LOVED IT!!

12:00 ENJOY OUR WONDERFUL POTLUCK. AFTER LUNCH DOOR PRIZES DONATED BY OUR GARDENERS FRIENDS. MANY THANKS.

1:00 ROUND ROBIN: WHAT WE ARE ALL WAITING FOR!! EVERYONE SELECT ONE PLANT. ROUND ROBIN 2 EVERYONE TAKE ONE PLANT. ROUND ROBIN 3 EVERYONE SELECT TWO PLANTS. ROUND ROBIN 4 EVERYONE SELECT 3 PLANTS. ROUND ROBIN 5 SELECT 4 AND SO ON. EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE HOME AS MANY PLANTS AS THEY BRING & SOME OF US BRING EXTRAS FOR FOLLOW GARDENERS.

TIPS OF THE DAY: PLEASE BRING WAGONS TO SHARE, FOLDING CHAIRS, TABLE FOR PLANTS, ECT..

R.S.V.P : AT www.gardenweb.com/forum/gather THEN CLICK ON THE CENTRAL OHIO PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK FOR RSVP OR MORE INFORMATION. OR dianemgarrett@yahoo.com ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME AT 614-529-8540. I CANÂT WAIT TILL SEPT. BECAUSE I RECEIVED SO MANY NICE PLANTS AT THE MAY SWAP.

REGARDS, DIANE GARRETT

P. S. VOULUNTEERS NEEDED: TO HELP SET-UP AT 9:00 & HELP CLEAN-UP AT 2:30. ALSO NEED SOME PEOPLE THAT WOULD SIT AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE FOR A WHILE.

Comments (100)

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Hi!

I need to RSVP for my friend, Leigh Anne. She came to the spring swap and wouldn't miss this one for the world! Add one more to your list Dianne!

Granny- I enjoyed our visit with you and Sue bunches! I've been busy with the boys as you can imagine.

Thanks to everyone who offered support and prayers for Andrew, my oldest. He has had such bad abdominal pain since the beginning of June. We finally have a diagnosis! He has a genetic disorder called celiac disease. It is an intolerance to gluten! That means no wheat, barley, rye, malt and a few other grains. That also means that I'm learning lots about cooking with corn and rice! It's inconvenient but BOY it sure could be worse!!!

I sure am enjoying that rose I got from Gina! It is blooming AGAIN! It's right my my front door and smells loverly.

The cigar plant from Granny 57 is blooming it's fool head off too! The end of my horse trough is bursting with it! Gawjus!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying this hot, dry summer!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Five weeks from today. Yippeeee! What do you have potted...inquiring gardeners would love to know!!! *giggle*

I have some daylilies and various sedum, so far.

Beverly

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Sat. May 21, 2005

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi Gina...it's NOT in bad taste to see if folks will be bringing certain plants they are looking for. It certainly isn't a secret. I think folks are anxious for people to get things they are looking for at a swap. In fact, some folks set up trades via email beforehand that are separate from the group swap - and put those plants in their cars before the actual big swap begins. (I think Hostalavista and Michigan Betty do that with certain hostas since they are both collectors) I will be bringing some pots of hardy crainsbill geraniums to the swap. Time (spring) will tell me which ones...later on. In fact, I am hoping someone has Achillea Taygeta. I would LOVE a division of that plant. Sounds like there will be quite a few folks bringing their left over winter sown plants for swapping!! Fun! Think sunshine!.......Beverly
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Saturday, May 22, 2010

Q

Comments (151)
    Hi Storygardner,Princess Mimi and Xarolent and Steph98. I was just reading the posts on the thread from the swap and when I was reading them I had started from the very last posting and scrolling upwards.I had felt like I missed out on the best part of my gardening life missing the swap this year because of my knee surgery.I was so excited to read what everyone did and what great plants were exchanged and just wanting to get the full experience of the fun and excitement I always take away with me after attending the swap through everone else who posts their delight at being there.I sure missed you all.Then as I got closer to the top I started to get confused and was wondering what was going on,Then as I read on I got real sad and felt so awfully bad for the girls I addressed this post to.And their children.How awful and hurtful for all involved.Chemicalrxm5,You should be so ashamed in all your beefing.You came to a swap with expectations of Grandure.It's a swap for peets sake.I have brought at different times 250,300 plants sometimes less.I never have gone with the expection of bringing home that many in return.Who would want that many plants?Oh right! You would. The first time I came to the swap was 5 years ago,I brought 273 plants and went home with 21 or maybe 25 plants.I thought I hit the Jackpot.I loved everything I took home and I met wonderful people and had Great food and I even got lucky and won a door prize.The people welcomed me and my friend Sue with open arms and I've been hooked ever since.You could take a lesson from the kids.This is a fun and learning process for them.They need the guidence from their parents to know the difference from one plant to the next, So if the parent says to them, thats a good plant in my opinion thats teaching them one plant from the other.They won't be children forever and this is a good way to educate them in something so wonderful.It's teaching them the value of the earth,Where our foods are grown and most inportantly,How to share.Something you are short on. You may have scarred these children with your petty bickering over a plant or a door prize.I think you owe these children an apology and ask for their forgiveness.Any time children are involved in plants and planting and gardening we all should be grateful for the teachings at home who have taken them down this road and kept them from drugs and such.I'm proud to know kids like them!!!So I say to you,God Bless You,Be Healthy and Apologize. Granny57x
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 20, 2006

Q

Comments (150)
    HI,all! This is my first time posting myself. James ususally does it. Granny we will be bringing some of the Gold Nuggets Lamium with us. Allison we should have a few starts if your friend wants some. It is gold with a white stripe down the middle and has I think pinkish purple flowers. It stays nice all winter. We got the original from Franklin Park Conservatory. Bev James doesn't remember bringing that type of tomato. The poppies and lavender sound good to me. We have been out potting and weeding this morning. We have ready to go... golden tiara hostas bressingham blue hosta stilletto hosta un named varieties of hosta centuria montana zebra grass dwarf zebra grass gold nuggets lamium anne greenaway lamium lilacs(white) ostrich ferns japanese painted ferns vinca minor varigated stargazer lilies crimson pixie lilies crimson pirate daylily and probably a few more things. We have a small swap in Stasburg the week before. I also sent the swap info to my brother who had some people from his church interested. Can't wait to see you all... Michelle
    ...See More

Central Ohio PlantSwap/Potluck - Sat. May 21 -Thread II

Q

Comments (100)
    Jo Ann: solar powered lights as a door prize??? oh wow how cool! i sure hope i win those! what a great idea! Beverly: i am glad you like my signature saying. i dont know who wrote it but i just feel that it says it all!!! how else can you justify buying a pot of asclepsias in april or some virginia bluebells in the summer? my husband thinks i have lost my marbles when i bring home what looks like just a pot of dirt! lol i just finished potting up 31 plants and i have loads more to go plus several plants for direct trades too! but you know what? i feel great! i keep thinking of more and more things that someone might enjoy and its a great way to thin out some of my plants! I am really getting excited and it BETTER NOT RAIN THAT DAY either! so Margie and i were thinking about what time we have to get up that morning to get there around 10 and since i live about 1.5 hrs from her and she is closer to columbus than i am i am thinking i will have to get up at the crack of dawn along with the dern roosters!!! Sue 'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'
    ...See More
  • bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I have potted some mexican hats (ratibida) and helenium autumn lollipops. It's been so hot and dry I haven't done much more, but I want to have them in the can, so to speak, by this weekend, so they are calm and not stressed.

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hi Mimi,Great to hear about your son Andrew finally having the problem solved. That's wonderful!!!Maybe you can bring all the boys to the fall swap this year.All us Garden Folks will grab them and give them BIG HUGS!!! I can hear them now
    (RUUNNNN)LOL!!! I'm so glad your Cigar Plant is doing well.
    I think I will try and see if there is any of the small Cigar Plants left and bring you one. There are 2 different kinds.The taller one which gets up to 2 feet and the bushey one.It only gets around 6 to 8 inches and just covered in little Cigars. If you leave it alone they will reseed themselves and you'll have them next year.
    I'm pretty sure the taller ones(The One You have) doesn't .
    It's pretty nice out today.For a change.And Beverly, Your right!!!I definitely need to move my computer.LOL
    I'm looking forward to seeing you and Mimi again.You both were so gracious and warm to me and Sue.I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to check on Seeleys for me,That is very kind of you. I hope that Seeleys will have a sale going on, But no matter,It will be fun to drop in again and see what is going on. See you all at the swap.
    By the way/The Bat Face is in the Cupea family.That's what the Cigar Plants are---Cupea.Just a little tid bit.In case anyone was curious.
    See Ya!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hey Sue!!!Ole Buddy,Ole Pal Of Mine!

Just wanted to say thank you for trying to remember the name of the Nursery we went to in Columbus.Your pretty good at getting names right,Not me. At least you came close.LoL.
    I wouldn't have come any where near the name of the Nursery.
    You know me,I go places And know I've been there just don't ask me how I got there and what it's called.JoAnn can vouch for me on that one.
    Trying to get ready for the swap,How are you doing so far?
    Well I will talk at you later.Just wanted to say thanks for trying to help.

• alison
    18 years ago

OH NO!!

I just discovered that I won't be able to come to the swap -- I'll be in Washington State.

Hope some of the friends I brought to the spring swap will make it anyway!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Oh Rats!!! We'll miss you, Alison!!! You've been to all the swaps. Oh Well...life carries on - hope you have great time.

Hope it's something extra fun!

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I haven't started potting yet but am keeping a mental list in my head. :) I hope to start soon though so things can settle in and not be too stressed.
    What do you think about bringing the daylilies bareroot? That's how they are shipped and it would save me a lot of pots.

Do you think folks would be too put off by the bareroot thing? I know there were bareroot iris in the Spring. I've got some of those too by the way, for all you iris lovers out there! A big bearded called Raspberry Wine and a couple of dwarfs ' Eyebright' and 'Live Coals'. I've got some other dwarfs too that need to be divided. I better get started soon!
    Kim

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Yes, Gardengirl...I would think you can bring your daylilies bareroot. I think as long as they are marked well..it's fine. Folks have done that in the past. Sure.

Sounds like you've got some pretties for tradin'.

• hagey
    18 years ago

Have a wonderful trip Alison. Sorry you will not be there. We will all miss you.
    Gardengirl, sounds like you have some nice items to bring. I have looked for Eyebright and Live Coals and a few other named dwarf. There is a iris hybridizer and grower in Hasslet, MI but she does not have these.
    Hostalavista, are you coming this fall? I will get my hostas checked and hope we can do some trades again. Did not get many new ones this year. Running out of space.I am looking for Stolen Kiss, Hope, and Afternoon Delight. Hope to see you on the 17th.
    Beverly, it is count down now. I hope you are ready to help dig and pot the week after the exchange. There is a convention and some of the people will not be able to help, so we might be potting on Friday and doing all the work Sat for the exchange. Betty

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

O.K. then, I think I will bring the daylilies and iris bareroot. I will tag them with the name and basic information. It will be a lot easier to transport them this way, then I can put my other perennials in the pots! I've been working outside today, deadheading, weeding, etc. I need to dig soon, but feel guilty about that when I have soooo many other "chores" to be done. The plant swap digging is the fun part!
    Kim

• carolann_z8
    18 years ago

I love the way you guys have such a well organized plant swap.
    Diane has offered to give me some tips for our Texas plant swap and Diane, you're a real sweetie.

I do however have some questions.
    When someone registers and puts down how many plants they've brought, do they get a tag showing how many plants they can pick? Also do people trade non-garden items for plants or do you have to trade plants for only plants etc?

I saw in your pictures where someone brought a lawnmower. Is this big item up for grabs or are there rules?

BTW, I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the last plant swap. What a lots of plants and food!

If only I lived closer.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

CarolAnn...we wish you did live closer!

Yes, I agree...Diane is sweetie!

In the past, basically writing down the number of plants a person brings is for the sake of keeping count of plants.(for the big ta-da total at the end of the day).

Everything is done on the honor's system at the Columbus/Central Ohio Swaps. No one is the "plant police". If you say you brought 10 plants and 2 non-plant trades..then you are entitled to take home 12 new things. Often...there are extras (plants) left over after everyone's gone thru their entitled picks.A trade is a trade and all things are equal. A seedling equals a shrub in this swap. A push mower equals a daylily. Folks are usually bringing their extra plants and garden things. It's not about equal money value here at this swap...it's about getting new plants (or garden stuff) for your own extras. If you bring only plants you can still pick non-plant items included in your selections.

The plantswaps over the years have been lots of fun!!!

Hope this answered your questions.

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Diane,Pats on the back for getting this up and going!!
    It's a well known fact that everyone had a blast at the Spring Swap,I know this will be a big splash as well.I pretty much have an idea what I will be bringing to the swap in plants,But does anyone know what kind of food they will be bringing?It was so much fun to read the posts on the spring thread on what people were bringing foodwise,Not to mention the best part(Eating It)YUM!!!
    I remember how people were interested in alot of the recipes;
    Like Bakemoms Breakfast Dish!!How good was that?!!.
    I wonder if anyone has a special request dish that they would like to see reappear again from the spring swap to the fall swap? Everything was so delish!!!
    As For Me;
    I think I will make some No Bake Cookies and if I can squeeze it in,Some Peanut Butter Fudge.

• carolann_z8
    18 years ago

Thanks for answering my questions Beverly.
    I thought it might have worked that way but wasn't sure.

Granny, I also want to hear about some of those yummy recipes. I can post some for you guys to use if you want too.

I feel like I know Bakemom. I think it was from the winter seed sowing forum last year.
    Isn't she the Lady who posted the funny picture of her jugs...milk jugs that is and her DS was holding them up.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

That's what he's telling his therapist. I will do almost anything to encourage people to learn to grow from seed.

Things are cooking over at the Winter Sowing Forum. Seed season is well under way and we have a wish list on the winter sowing exchange that is a lot of fun. Join us! I will likely have summer sowing items for the swap. In spite of the dry weather, things are really taking off!

Anyone know what time the San Diego State game starts? Hopefully this is a 3p game. I have tickets.

• carolann_z8
    18 years ago

Bakemom, I'll look for you on the seed sowing forum.
    We have our club seed sowing party Jan. 15th, so I have lots of time to prepare for this. I really learned a lot since last year. That was my first time to try it.

My paper labels washed off and I had lots of mystery plants. lol

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Bakemom...the San Diego/OSU game starts at 3:30 pm according to the OSU website. Sounds like you'll be able to make it to the game.

Go bucks!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

GO BUCKS! We would have to leave at 1:30 probably and go straight to our spot. Good I CAN do both.

• granny57
    18 years ago

CarolAnn,Posting some of your recipes whatever they might be would be great.

I'm always interested in something different.I see your from Texas,What's that saying??Everything is bigger in Texas!!Now about those recipes!!LOL!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

Mimi, Beverly,

ThinkDirt and Fourpaws and I went to the Valley of the Daylilies this passed Sat,Icame home with 21 Hostas. We left at around 10am and I got home at around 145pm.Then Sue came over at around 245pm and we went together and I came home with 5 more Hostas.I had a great time with all the youngens.LOL!!!
    I found a Hosta called Brother Ronald.And I couldn't believe it.My brother's name is Ronald.So of course I just had to have it.
    I was so worn out by the time I got home,I couldn't walk from Sat,6pm till Monday at around 230pm.But I thoroughly enjoyed myself.Of course I had to take a few sitting breaks during the course of the trip.(S).
    ThinkDirt and Fourpaws and myself all had to have this one Hosta.So we had Dan (The Owner)Such a Super Nice Guy!! save us all one for the Sale.I can't remember what it's called right off.I will be taking some starts off of all the ones I just bought,At least all the ones I can.I will list them on my page in case anyone wants to trade with me.I'm interested in trading Hostas for Hostas.
    I sure wish you two could have gone with us.
    Hopefully you will be able to come next year.
    But I do have a start of an Iris for the both of you.From what I can remember it's a dwarf or minature Bearded Iris.
    The girls will let you know the names,I have forgotten already.No Surprise there.!LOL
    Sue and I split a Hosta called Golden Years,A perfect Hosta for my Hosta bed.It should fit right in.
    If anyone would like for me to pick them up a Hosta from the Valley of the Daylilies,Email me and if They have it I would be glad to pick it up for you and you can pay me back at the swap. Just an offer.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Granny57, I hope you bring the no bake cookies- they're a favorite of mine! I'm digging for the swap this weekend and I'll post a list later of what I'm bringing. Still thinking about the food dish. I do have a good recipe for Southwestern Pasta Salad.

I'm so glad the Bucks are on at 3:30 - plenty of time to get home and settled in front of the tube after the swap.

See you all there!
    Kim

• granny57
    18 years ago

Gardengirl,

That Southwestern Pasta Dish sounds Yummy! And I will be sure to make and bring those No Bake Cookies!! I can't wait to see what recipes will get posted.

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

WOW! Only a couple of weeks until the swap! I'm nowhere near done digging! I've been concentrating on getting kids off to school and putting up my satellite dish gazebo! I do have some blue and yellow tall bearded iris dry rooted already. I still have another big patch of blue to separate and half of it will be dry rooted for the swap. I potted up some day lilies but have somemore to do yet! Yikes! I'd better get busy or the babies will be sad looking!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Oh boy...sounds like the pot luck will be GREAT again!! I am not sure what I'll bring to share at lunch. I like everything folks have mentioned so far.

I've been digging...have some daylilies (named and unnamed), New York Asters, Sedum Matrona, Opuntia (Hardy) Cactus Humifusa, light purple iris, Jap. Anemone Robustissima, heuchera and more to dig.

I can't wait!!

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Here we go again!!!!!!LOL

• hagey
    18 years ago

Granny 57 - Where is the Valley of the Daylillies located? Do they have a website? I am looking for the hostas - Afternoon Delight, Stolen Kiss, and Hope. Just for fun I am doing a grouping of hostas that are members of the same "hosta sport" family. I have three different groupings and I need these three to complete them. I put a wanted in the hosta forum exchange but had no answers. Most of the places I contact do not have many hostas left this year.
    I am still digging for the exchange on Sept 17 and can't wait to go. It is so much fun to see everyone and all the plants.
    Beverly we will miss you on the 24 of Sept and of course for potting up. Do you know what the name of that plant in the Gaeden Peoject that I called variegated Tovara? I have a start but do not know what to call it. I think my plant came from you when you lived in Michigan.
    Betty

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Hi Betty...that plant that looks like Tovara Var. is Fallopia Japonica Variagated.

I'll miss going to Michigan that weekend, too!!

...Beverly

• sunburygirl
    18 years ago

Just wanted to check in and RSVP for Karen, myself and hopefully my sister-in-law Gene from Lodi, Ohio. She wanted to come so badly this past spring, but got drafted at work. Karen has all sorts of mum starts to bring. Not bad for a chick that couldn't identify a mum two years ago! She's turned into a garden freak! I'll find something to bring and as usual, Karen will make some yummy food. See you soon!

Nancy aka Sunbury Girl

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hagey,The Valley of the Daylilies is located on RR#123 and about 10 mins from me.I don't recall any of the Hostas that you mentioned, But there is another Garden Store close by, And I wouldn't mind checking into it for you.If I can find them would you want me to pick them up for you?I wouldn't mind a bit to do so.I will look again when we go back to the Valley and make sure I didn't overlook them.I do have a Web Link that the owner sent to me.I couldn't bring it up and I emailed him and he sent me the link.
    I will email you personally with that link if I can remember how.LOL!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Hey Granny...Seeleys Nursery in Hilliard has their "sunny" plants at 35% off. (the nursery we all went to that day in June) It's a sale they've had going for weeks. FYI

Beverly

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Well! I've been a busy girl this week. Beverly's and my DH's, Murray and Lee, helped me to assemble the posts and roof of my satellite dish gazebo. It's kewl! I also got some things dug for the swap. I have:

Burning bush
    Mystery coral w/yellow throat Hem.
    Mary Todd Hem.
    Stella D'oro Hem.
    Purple Waters Hem.
    Goblin Galardia
    Blue and Yellow Tall Bearded Iris
    Trumpet Vine
    Ratibida

I'll likely dig a few more before then too.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to bring for the potluck since we won't have electricity at this shelter. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe Devil's Food cake with my peanut butter chocolate buttercream icing?!?! It makes my ateries slam shut just thinking about it!

Hope that everyone is enjoying this geat September weather!

~~Mimi

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to let you know I will be there the 17,
    along with my daughter Cathy ,
    friends Diane and a newbie Valerie!
    I have to admit I almost didn't come then thought I gotta go, knowing if I didn't I would regret it.
    I have had a heck of a summer as all gardeners do, I just couldn't take the heat and some of my plants couldn't either, but I faired better than some of them,I can't believe I lost a few hosta, they are so tough but I had to have my poplar trees cut this last winter so hence NO SHADE for my most favorite plant! Along with NO RAIN to speak of, they sure did suffer. I watered but that wasn't enough...
    I have trees growing and hopefully I will have shade next year, I have been preparing for this.
    Also found out my Dad has a fast growing cancer in his lung, he just got his port put in his chest for chemo and will get his first treatment Monday, then on top of this he had a small stroke a week ago Wednesday. But seems in good spirits and the stroke didn't affect him much but he has a brain bleed. So what do you take care of first?
    We have a long road ahead of us.
    So unless something comes up with my Dad or family.
    We'll all be at the swap.
    I will be bringing some,,,,,
    Mimosa, if you don't have one of these you should try one, just talk to Dave at the swap I'm sure he will convince you to get one, I convinced them!
    I'll also bring a few hosta, don't know which ones yet.
    Got some sedums too.
    Might be able to dig a few grasses.
    Betty hope I have some new hosta for you. I didn't get many new ones this year, so we need to talk!
    By the way, I don't care if I get bare root plants,
    which reminds me Betty is that what you prefer? That's what you gave me at the spring swap and I will do the same for you if that's what you prefer, will take up less room.
    I'm looking for some grasses, I like them.
    Also looking for some different sedums, I see Beverly has Matrona, mine died so I would like to get some of that one.
    Diane are we going to have a drawing for donated prizes?
    Can't wait. I'll try to keep in touch.... Hostalavista Linda!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I tried to post before...but, all I kept getting were weiner commercials. Hey...what up with that??!!

Anyway...yipppeeee!! I am so glad you are attending the swap, Linda Hostalavista! It will be good to see you and your friends too.

I still don't know what food to bring...hmmmmm....

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Beverky, Thanks for the heads up on the "Seeleys" sale. I sure hope they still have something left when we get there.
    Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone.
    I will be posting for the first time on my trade list page.
    I was shown how to do it when I first got my computer and couldn't remember how till my friend Sue reminded me again.
    God Bless all my very sweet and patient friends.(((Grins)))!
    I wouldn't know what to do without them!!!
    I have new Hostas I bought not to long ago and will take starts from. I would like to trade Hosta for Hosta.
    I'm hoping to list them all by tonight or tomorrow,But before the swap.Hope you will take a look.
    Hostalavista, I'm soooo terribly sorry for the pain you and your family must be going through.I know there isn't much any of us can do to help you except to keep you in our prayers.And you can count on me for one to say a prayer for you and the rest of your family.God Speed!

• hagey
    18 years ago

Hostalavista, I am so happy that you are coming. I am sorry to hear about your Father. My sister was just told that the mass on her kidney was cancereous. However, the doctor said that he is sure with four treatments they can take care of it. My prayers go out to you and your family. I wrapped my hostas that I brought for you as they take less room that way and we can pack more plants in the car. I might do that with some plants this time as I have done a big trade with a gal in a suburb of Columbus that is not coming to the swap. I am wrapping her plants. Do you have the hosta Gin & Tonic? If not I have one sitting on the front porch with your name on it.
    Granny57 - I will look at your have and want list to see what you have and if there is any that is sitting on my front porch. Thanks for all your scout work for my three. Will try in the spring.
    Mimi I dug your white Siberian Iris tonight.
    Beverly I have all your daylilies dug. Do you have Zella Virgina? I have it blooming now and it looks like a double bloom peachy yellow and looks beautiful. Do you want a start?
    This is what I have dug for the swap.
    Celandine Poppy
    Columbine
    Cranesbill Geranium
    Herman's Pride
    Rose of Sharon
    Perennial Foxglove
    Siberian Iris - purple
    Anything else I find in the garden this weekend.
    See you all on the 17th. Betty

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hagey, I'm painfully sorry to hear about your sisters health problems.I feel your pain.I will say a prayer for your sister along with Hostalavistas father.
    I wish I could offer more or do more,But prayer is a powerful thing.I'm sure you both will be in alot of peoples prayers and thoughts.You will definitely be in mine.
    Looking in the gardens always made me feel better,Even if I couldn't get out that much to enjoy them everyday.Looking at anything pretty is so soothing for the soul.
    Makes you feel good deep down inside.
    Hope everything works out for you and your sister,Gods Speed!
    P.S. You are very welcome,Anytime!

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Hi Folks!

Betty and Linda's families will continue be in my prayers. I hope that everything oges as well as it can and that everyone concerned gets the comfort that they need.

I don't have tons of things dug and I'm not going to stress out trying to get more dug. I still have more to take than I need to take home! The plants that are promeised ot specific people are all potted but one. That won't take much time.

Diane-I'm planning on bringing the signs that show what kinds of plants go where. If you wnat them before I get there Saturday morning call me and you can come pick them up at my house. Let me know, otherwise you can set them up when I get there around 9:30.

Six days and counting!!!!!

~~Mimi

• dianemgarrett
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hello,
    we finally got some rain! the dirt is still really dry now & the heat does not want to give up.
    Yes we will be have some doorprizes that people bring!!
    Mimi bring the signs sat. is great.
    in the fall i can see alot of plants that need to be divided. i will be bring white db penys, hosta, primrose, siberian purple iris, db yellow daylilys, lilies of valley, periennial sunflowers (small bloom) but grow 5' high, bishop weed, sweetannie, and more.
    it looks like it will still be hot. remember when yoy get into the park turn the first left around to the back of the park.
    see you all sat. cottage blooms diane garrett

• trishohiozone5_6
    18 years ago

My prayers go out to Betty, Linda and their families as well.

I'm bringing a friend who is another daylily person. I don't know what he is bringing, but I promised to go help him dig Friday night, so they will be freshly dug when they get to the swap. He'll be looking for shade plants.

I'll be bringing daylilies. Below is what I have in pots. I'll also dig a few more the night before and bring them bare root on Satuday. I've promised someone some Persain Market, so that one will come bareroot for sure. But here are the potted ones:

Elizabeth's Magic
    Warrior Spirit
    Papillion
    Gentle Shepard
    Chance Encounter
    Canadian Border Patrol
    Bench Mark
    Red Challenger
    Designer Jeans
    Don Stevens
    Elizabeth Salter
    Mistaken Identity
    Maylaysian Monarch

I'll try and remember to bring my daylily book again, so you can see pictures of them.

I still don't know what to bring for food, but I'll bring something.

I'm excited!
    Have a great day!
    Trish

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Gee...it's getting close. I counted again this morning. I have about 40 plants or so.

Can't wait to see you all.......Beverly

PS>>>thanks, again Diane

• granny57
    18 years ago

Hi Diane,I was wondering if getting there at around 11:30 but at least before noon would be too late to come?My friend Sue won't be able to make it She is due to become a Grandmother for the first time any time now and is afraid to venture off.So I have another friend Jacquie who is coming with me and she doesn't get off till late early morning and we won't get on the road till around 9:30am or so and it's a good hour and half or better from here.
    So will I be too late?
    I sure hope not.Hope to see you all soon.

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Hey Granny,
    I know you didn't ask me but I'm sure it will be OK to arrive late....
    You can carry your plate around while picking or looking at plants!
    I was WAY late at the first Spring Swap and it worked out fine for me... I'm sure Diane won't mind!!
    linda

• maozamom NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I'm just about ready, I've been busy potting up the last few plants and adding labels. I have lots of brunnera, some hosta, five different sedums, lamiums, dwarf fountain grass 'Hameln', goatsbeard, and a few other perennials. Must stop ,no more pots! I hope to take home a couple of daylilies, but more important is visiting people with similar obsessions.

• granny57
    18 years ago

Thanks for making me feel better about coming late Hostalavista,I don't like arriving late anywhere I have to be.But this time is unavoidable.Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else.
    Tomorrow! Is A good thing!!(((SMILES)))

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Oh boy...I am planted, labeled, and the outdoor dishgarden (doorprize) is made. Also, Betty & Ron are on their way. I am psyched!! Murray requested my sweet & sour cucumber & onion salad (like your grandma's used to make) I am putting in some sliced cherry tomatoes too.

Can't wait to see you all.

Later...Beverly

PS...Granny 57..it doesn't matter what time you get here...just come on up to Hilliard whenever you can!!!

• galliumgrl
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!

Stacy and I will be heading up your way once again from Ashland, Ky. Can't wait! But, can't linger any longer, the plants are calling. So much to do...so little time left.

• granny57
    18 years ago

Thanks Beverly!!I look forward to seeing you and sharing whatever.Not in a hurry this time to leave.Can stick around and visit a bit.
    Your Salad sounds Yummy!!!

• Rastagecko
    18 years ago

Hi all,
    I haven't been on GW much this summer, but wanted to hop on tonight and let you know that we are coming. My mom and aunt are going to be in town, so they are coming as well. I don't know if they are bringing plants, or just coming to visit. I am only bringing about 18 plants this time. I just didn't have the time to get things ready. I have some purple daturas, Crimson Pirate daylilies, and a trumpet vine. We are looking forward to seeing everyone and having some good food.
    James and family

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I just made the salad dressing in the blender and toasted the sugared walnuts for my apple/feta/spiced walnut salad. Plants are in their trays and ready to go. I'm a little short on markers, so will have to improvise.