SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leahdawnmarie

Brand new engineered hardwood floors creaking

Leah
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

I hope someone will be able to give me some insight. We just moved into a brand new home and are having some problems with our engineered hardwood floors.

We've lived in the house about 3 months and they are becoming increasingly more and more creaky. At first it was only in a few spots but now it has become the whole entire floor, no matter where you step. In a few areas there are soft spots where the floor sinks when you step on it. The builders of the home are giving us a bit of a hard time about it, insisting that creaking is normal with this type of flooring and that the soft spots are just from a bit of tension.

On top of that, we are not hard on our floors at all and yet they scratch or dent at even the slightest upset. This, we've also been told, is just the nature of engineered hardwood. At this rate these floors will look a complete mess within 5 years and there's no way we can ever get a pet like we were hoping to.

We're wondering how much of this is true and how much of it is that our builders are telling us whatever they need to to get us out of their hair. If what they say is true I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would ever install engineered hardwood if it has this many problems.

Thanks in advance!

*edited to add the floors are Goodfellow Montpellier*

Comments (10)