SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Regulating uneven water pressure to sprinkler

Olychick
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

(eta: I posted this in Irrigation, don't know how it ended up in Cooking! Sorry!(

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but thought I'd try. I've read some of the threads about soaker hoses, but that's not what my problem is.

I'm on a 9 person community water system (well) and trust me, nothing about the problem is going to be solved at the source. I'm sure I won't accurately describe the system, but maybe you'll get it. There is a pump in the well that pumps to a storage tank, which then distributes water to the users via gravity feed.

When the gravity system is in use and the pump is not refilling the tank (it's allowed to lower the level a bit before the pump kicks on to refill the tank), I have very low water pressure. When the pump kicks on, it increases my pressure considerably (but still not great).

The problem is, when I set the sprinklers to my gardens so the water just reaches the plants, doesn't spray the windows, or waste water on the driveway, depending on whether the pressure is on the low end or the high end, it will change and spray all over my windows, etc. Or, on the low end, there isn't enough pressure to run an oscillating sprinkler - it just dribbles out until the pump turns on again.

Is there something I can buy that will keep the pressure the same all the time, regardless if it goes higher from the pump? (I know it can't solve the low pressure problem). Would a pressure regulator do that? Would I put it on the hose at the bib, or on the sprinkler/hose connection. Can you recommend something, a brand or what to look for?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)