SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karateally

Seller wants to leave early during rent back

karateally
6 years ago

We signed a contract 6 weeks ago with the seller. As part of accepting our offer, they requested a 31 day rent back period. The contract we signed stipulated that they would occupy the property for 31 days after close and pay PITI for the full 31 days. Now, 2 days before close, they inform us they actually only need 9 days and that they will be moving out then. They don't want to pay for the full 31 days.
At this point, I've scheduled my move out/in plans for a month from now. I've budgeted for the money I was to receive from the rent back and my current lease doesn't expire for another 5 weeks. The sellers are saying that they saw this rent back as an optional safety net for them and not something they would be forced to use for the whole amount of time. I saw this as a "set in stone" time frame and based my move out date and budget around this.
Should I enforce this part of the contract? Ultimately, they can move out at any point during the 31 days if they choose, however, I still need to be paid the PITI we agreed upon. Has anyone seen this scenario play out before?

Comments (9)