SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hktm13

Who's responsible for this error?

Hey houzz folks,

I'm looking for some good advice as my new "dream" kitchen has been installed and there's been a major fumble. Here's what happened:

1) I wanted white perimeter cabinets and slate blue/grey island cabinets. I also knew I wanted Quartz because we are family with three young children and would quickly kill the marble.

Mistake #1:
When I selected the cabinets (signature cabinets) neither the kitchen designer nor the designer I hired pointed out that white is not white. I had no idea of the tonal issues at the time.

Mistake#2 We selected Simply White cabinets and they looked white in the show room. We assumed they were BM simply white. As it turns out they are the cabinet companies version of Simply White. Again, I was unaware and designer was with me and walked away with same assumption it never confirmed.

Mistake #3 When selecting my countertops (Avenza Pental Quartz) neither the designer nor the stone fabricator asked me to bring the white cabinet. In fact, I was never given a sample of the white. Just the blue/grey island since it was a custom color (BM brittania blue). So we selected the counters only with the blue cabinet (which looks great with the counters).

What happens next:
Kitchen cabinets arrive. They look good when they unbox them as they are not up against anything white. Then my crown molding is painted simply white and there is an obvious difference in color. Cabinet maker argues painter needed to match cabinet sample, not just paint based upon color of cabinets we provided. Painter goes and does just that and computer spits out BM Mountain Peak White as best match. Contractor says it's because of lighting. So we wait for lights to go in. in the meantime counters are installed which make the problem worse. The Avenza up against the cabinets only make the read more cream.

I am devastated. No one wants to take responsibility and we are WAY over budget already.....houzzers: what's my next step here?

Comments (49)