SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Massage Therapy expectations

Jasdip
6 years ago

A quick refresher about hubby's health before I get to my question........ His prostate cancer came back, CAT scan found a growth where his prostate was. A series of radiation fixed that issue. The scan also showed 3 spots on his shoulder (his shoulder has been aching). Possible cancer on the bone.

He's getting hormone therapy injections every 3 months as part of his cancer treatment. They kill the testosterone that the cancer feeds off of. Funnily enough, the injections also help with any pain that he has, so his shoulder doesn't hurt any more at all.

The past few weeks his lower back has been killing him, and of course, our immediate fear is that the cancer has spread. Blood work for PSA (regular monitoring) shows that it is normal (PSA is an early detection of prostate cancer). X-rays as well show all is fine.

He is scheduled for a CT scan tomorrow a.m. We met with our radiologist a couple of weeks ago, as a regular follow-up. He felt his back and feels that it's muscle-related, pulled it, or pinched nerve, etc. He thought massage therapy would be good.

Now to my question. Has anyone had a worsened experience after having massage therapy? Hubby had a session last week, for an hour. The therapist said that his back was knotted most likely due to stress. DH felt great after the session, for the whole day, and felt okay the following day. The 3rd day after, he couldn't get out of bed.....literally. I helped him get up but when I let go, he fell back down. I put a heating pad on his back and he laid there until he felt that he could get up....45 minutes. He's actually been sleeping on the couch where he can sleep in a semi-upright position. He still has trouble getting out of bed, and of course moving in general is slow and painful.

We had another session scheduled for this Wed, but we cancelled it until after the CT scan tomorrow.

Is this normal? I do think that the muscles would be sore after being man-handled, etc, but to not be able to sit up or stand etc? That scared the bejeebers out of both of us.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus