SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

A what would you do question about a neighbor

User
6 years ago

Our neighbors are an older couple who have lived in their home since the 80's. They are well known in the neighborhood and friends with everyone. We may not see them often, but I like them a lot and appreciate that they are such great neighbors.

They have 3 grown kids. Two are married, but the youngest, I think he's in his late 20's seems to migrate between living at home and elsewhere. He too is a nice guy, I think he just may have a hard time holding a job, but that's observation only.

Anyways, the other day we got a call on our house phone from a number located in New York. I was expecting a call so I answered it and some woman asked to speak to my husband. She used his formal name and spoke in a pretty assertive tone. I asked who was calling. She ignored my question and asked for him again. Slightly irritated, I said I was his wife and asked what she needed. She then asked me if he, as in my husband, knew "John Doe". I was taken back a bit by the question and didn't even realize who she was asking about at first so I said no, no he doesn't. I asked if she was skip tracing (thinking she was looking for the previous owner of our house) and she said she couldn't say but that they saw we were in the same neighborhood as John Doe and therefore decided to reach out to us. That's when it dawned on me that this was a collection agency looking for our neighbors son! The shear idea that they were calling neighbors completely irked me and I told her not to call here again, Not Ever, that our number was off limits! My angered response surprised her, she apologized, offered to remove the number from their directory and quickly hung up.

My concern is for his parents and how they might feel if they knew people in the neighborhood were getting calls like that. I very seldom see the son so letting him know about the call directly is not an option.

So my delima is should I let his parents know so they can can address it with their son, see if maybe he needs help? Or, should I just keep it to myself and not say a word? To me, someone's financial situation is private and I prefer to respect that, I haven't even told my husband about the call.

This couple kind of sets the tone for the neighborhood, if you know what I mean. They have a beautiful home, meticulously maintained and, like us, they're friendly with everyone but do not get involved in the neighborhood "drama". So what would you do?

Comments (67)