SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clearwaters

Help Me Make A Decision, Please

clearwaters
6 years ago

We've had dogs for 50+ years. Once our kids left home we started rescuing special needs dogs. One was epileptic. One had a heart condition. One was blind. I think I loved them more than the dogs that were simply pets, when the kids were home. Understandable, I think.

The last girl, a toy poodle, was blind. She was my heart. I was her eyes. She died Christmas Day, 2015. When she went, I vowed I'd never do it again. I'm worn out physically and emotionally.

DH is a glutton for punishment and he doesn't do the "mothering" work. So, when an acquaintance, who runs a local shelter called in Feb. to say she had a little boy who could really use some TLC, DH whined and sniveled like a 10 year old and I caved.

We were told Cody was 3 months old. Not Even Possible. He couldn't have been more than 10 weeks and had already been sent to a pet store from a mill; bought, sold and returned, after being dropped on his head. Babies wriggle. Families with children under the age of 10 should NOT be allowed to purchase tiny dogs until the animal is 6 months old. That is definitely my opinion. But I digress.

So, Cody came home. We (I) potty trained him. Put up with the sharp teeth and the unbridled energy of an infant. We took him to the vet every other week for his shots. Our vet does not give more than one shot at a time on small pups. It makes it easier for the little ones bodies to adjust.

One day after he'd been here 3 months, I could tell he was nauseous. I put a little Pepto on my finger. He licked it off and prompltly threw up. I thought that was good. It was not. That was around 5pm on a Thurs. afternoon. I got him to the vet Fri. morning by 8:30. Cody was gone by 10 am.

I'm done. I'm drained. And today the woman from the rescue called. I can't face it and DH is whining and sniveling again.

Would you do it?

Comments (48)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022