Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_ga

Making the right decision, Spider the cat

17 years ago

It was back to the vet for Spider the cat today. No improvement on his swollen, oozy eye. Right side of his face is swollen, just like it was before the infected teeth were removed 3 weeks ago. His mouth doesn't close all the way, either. Now his meow sounds bad. No improvement after 2 rounds of antibiotics.

So the vet suggested doing a biopsy, sedate him and take tissue from inside his mouth, tomorrow. They penciled it in. But I think I'm going to cancel. The other option they gave me was another round of antibiotics with a steroid. The biopsy will cost almost $400 (actually I'm thinking it will end up more, after follow up, etc, which would push me up to $1200 on this). If it is cancer, I am not going to treat it. I already know that. I don't think it would be the smart choice, he is 15, his natural life has been a long and happy one. But she says at least I'll know the diagnosis/prognosis and can make a decision from there about his comfort... you know what I'm saying. If it's not cancerous, they'll try the antibiotic/steroid.

Once I left and talked through this more with DH, I think I'll cancel the biopsy and go ahead and try to antibiotic/steroid for one last effort. Whatever I could learn from a biopsy won't change my actions and it won't make him feel better. I'll just watch him, keep him as comfortable as I can, and if he does continue to decline, I'll make the same decision in the end anyway.

I guess I'm just writing it down for someone to read, cuz it makes me feel better. If you have some thoughts or experience that would help me make a decision, please share.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations