SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tile_student

The art of tiling and questions about lippage

J S
6 years ago

I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum and have especially enjoyed the knowledgeable trades-people who seem to frequently post here. You are awesome.

This is my first post. If I violate any rules regarding posting, I apologize and promise to not make the same mistake twice.

I wanted to have a discussion about lippage because I am a novice and I know enough now to know that laying tile requires skill, attention to detail, specialized knowledge, and a certain amount of sheer craftsmanship that can be hard to gain from a book.

First, question is regarding tile leveling systems like Raimondi or others, how common is it for professionals to use these when they are setting 18x18 marble tiles in a kitchen?

For example, as a professional, do you always use them, never use them, or are there certain circumstances that necessitate using them more than others?

Also, for tiles that are 1/2" thick or larger, is there a recommended system that a professional might use more than another?

Would a professional ever tile over existing tile in a kitchen?

If the previous owner's tile job was a pretty bad one, is it critical to remove it? From what I've read so far, the answer seems to be "yes" and you would also level out the floor prior to starting the new tile work.

If you see lippage in a kitchen floor and you have found a stash the exact tile, mortar, and grout that was used on the original project.

How hard it is to remove the offending tile zones and replace them?

I'm not opposed to ripping out the entire floor and starting over so if I try it and mess up, I'd be fine with putting in a while new floor.

I've done a lot of reading and one thing is clear: in order to be good at laying tile, you need a certain amount of knowledge and a certain amount of skill.

The knowledge is needed so that you buy the right tools and materials and use them in the right way at the right time according to current standards and specifications.

The skill is what helps you adapt to the present realities of the job, allowing you to achieve quality given the reality of your working environment.

My questions are really two-fold. First, are tile leveling systems critical to avoiding lippage when laying larger format square natural stone tiles?

Simply from my reading I can see that there are a great number of factors involved in both generating and avoiding lippage, so I know that my question about tile leveling systems misses the larger point that this is about a number of factors from preparation of the underlying surface to the skill of the person laying the tile.

My second question is, once lippage has occurred on a kitchen floor and assuming that the floor has been grouted where can I go from that point?

I eventually want to get to a point where I could lay my own tile floor in a kitchen or install my own back splash or repair the shoddy work of another, but the more I read the more I think I'd like to hire an experienced professional with lots of references and pictures of his work in order to tile my bathrooms/showers.

If this is too long, too meandering, my apologies. I want to understand lippage better. I want to understand more about what is common practice for professionals regarding tile leveling systems. I want to understand more about the steps that can or may be taken to "fix" the work that someone has already put in place.

Comments (8)