SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Florida rose rosette immune system research

henry_kuska
6 years ago

I could of added this to one of my earlier Florida posts, but I am concerned that it could be missed by many that way:

Background, in the last 10-20 years it has been recognized that plants have an immune system. In this forum I have suggested that immune system enhancers such as aspirin and/or hydrogen peroxide be tried on rose rosette infected roses.

This is a report from the University of Florida. Their grant is coming to an end (they have one extension):

"A preliminary study by our team showed that foliar applications of ASM at e50 mg/L, on Knock Out roses followed by budding plants with buds from Rose rosette virus-infected plants, did not produce any symptoms of the disease, as compared to drench application of ASM or non-treated controls which showed high disease severity as indicated by the Area Under Disease Progress Curve (Fig. 1; Horsfall and Barrett, 1945). Real-time RT-qPCR testing of the plants treated with foliar application of ASM further confirmed the absence of Rose rosette virus till date (>6 months from the start of the experiment; data not shown). This finding strongly indicates to the potential of ASM in protecting roses from Rose rosette virus, which may be due to the prevention of the virus movement, or replication from infected buds to healthy plants leading to no symptoms or reduced expression and thus needs to be further studied and validated. "

https://projects.ipmcenters.org/Southern/public/ViewProject.cfm?projectID=9998461

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer