SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamshed_gw

Basement and Crawlspace Dehumidification

Jamshed Mulla
6 years ago

Hi:

I am looking for some advice on dehumidifying the basement of our house in New England, near ocean. Summer high temp ranges 80-95, humidity can reach 90+.

The house has about 1400 sq ft of below-ground basement, and about 700 sq ft of crawl space under two additions. Basement and crawl spaces have concrete floors & walls. The two crawl spaces are not connected and at opposite ends of the basement. There is an access openings (16" x 24") for each crawl space which can be closed off. The crawl spaces and the main basement each have 2 ventilation windows.

The basement and crawl spaces are dry.

There is R-20 insulation between the ceiling joists of the basement and crawl spaces.

The home is heated by gas/hot water; there is no central air conditioning. I have 2 dehumidifiers that I run at different spots in the basement in the summer.

So, the question is, what should I do to ventilate the crawl spaces. I have read many differing opinions on the web. My inclination is to do the following:

In the summer, keep ventilation windows CLOSED, openings to access crawl spaces OPEN, and both dehumidifiers ON.

In the winter, keep ventilation windows CLOSED, openings to access crawl spaces CLOSED, and dehumidifiers OFF.

Any other opinions and why?

Thanks.

Comments (2)