SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_main85

Building in Maine - basement, slab, or crawlspace?

Sarah Main
7 years ago

First time poster who recently found the goldmine of information that is the GardenWeb forums. Hopefully this isn't too long. :)

My husband and I are building our (hopefully forever) home in central Maine next year. Though we've thought about it a lot over the last few years, we've only just started the building process - we've hired an architect and are working on our first design layout.

Our land is wet - I don't know where it falls on a "wetness" scale from desert to swamp, but it is on the wetter side. It is also very flat - from where we'd put the house in the middle of the lot (2 acres) to the roadside ditch is only an elevation of about 5 ft.

There will already need to be lots of proper drainage onsite, and our architect pretty strongly suggests that we don't do a basement due to the extra drainage, sump pump, probably backup sump pump, etc. that would be needed to keep it dry. He suggests a slab instead (with radiant floor heating).

Thoughts? In this area, basements are the norm - it's pretty unusual for a house to not have a basement of some kind. We're not super-concerned about resale value as we plan on living here for a long time, but I want to hear pros and cons of doing a basement vs a slab vs a crawlspace, given my climate and site conditions. I'm just concerned about the potential hardships in either case.

I also have questions about 1-story vs 2-story, but that'll have to be another post!

Comments (27)