SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
straysod

Compost Tumbler not producing compost?

straysod
6 years ago

I'm relatively new to gardening, and have never tried composting before. But I hated throwing away vegetable scraps and yard waste knowing (or having read about) how valuable compost is as a soil amendment. So I purchased a compost tumbler a few months ago. It has two chambers, and everything I've read told me that I could fill one side up, then leave it alone to cook while I add new stuff to the second side.

I fill up one side of the tumbler over a few weeks with daily additions of coffee grounds, tea leaves, vegetable scraps and some cardboard and paper towels (torn into roughly 2 inch pieces). I also occasionally toss in any relatively weed-free yard waste that I can, usually roughly chopped up prunings from my massive sage bush. When one side gets full, I leave it alone and start adding to the other side. I expected that the cardboard and some of the woodier stems would probably need to go through a few cycles before it really breaks down, so my plan was to leave one full side to cook until the other side was full, then screen the "finished" side, putting the large, uncomposted items back in the tumbler and spreading the finer compost as mulch in my garden.

So far, however, I've not actually gotten any compost out of this... Maybe I've just been taken in by all the slick advertising? I'd read that in a hot compost tumbler I could have compost within 2 weeks. I assumed that was awfully optimistic, but that maybe 4 or 6 weeks would be reasonable. But after leaving a completely full side (I think each side holds about 20 gallons?) alone for about 4 weeks, I find that the volume of material has reduced by 60% to 70% but all I'm left with is the sticks and cardboard that hasn't broken down yet coated in a thin layer of (what I hope is) compost. And lots and lots of bugs. There's not enough compost to screen--dumping it all out and sifting it results in maybe a cup of soil-like compost, and a gallon of cardboard and sticks that go right back in the tumbler. It seems like all the green stuff I've added just disappears into thin air (or is converted into bugs, which I'm not thrilled with).

Does anyone have any experience with these tumblers? Is this normal or am I missing something? It's clearly breaking down, given the massive reduction in volume, I just don't know why I'm not getting any usable compost out of the deal.

Comments (24)