SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dabear32

Compost Tumbler Take 2

dabear32
7 years ago

Late last summer I decided I would try composting. Most because I was doing a lot of cooking at home and was producing a tremendous amount of kitchen scraps.

I made a lot of mistakes and ended up after several fixes with a very wet clumpy mess in the tumbler. I kept everything in the bin over the winter and just emptied it out. Although mostl of the greens were fully composted, not all of the leaves and sticks were. And strangely there were egg shells left. I screened it out. Saving the nice compost that fell through the screen for my wife's pots (about 25%) and scattered the clumpy stuff around the trees and bushes in the yard. Did I do anything wrong there?

And now to try again I have about 8 gallons of kitchen scraps in the extra freezer waiting to be composted. Unfortunately I used all the leaves I had saved to rescue the last batch. I have newsprint and horse bedding available to use as browns. I need some advice on how much to use with my 8 gallons of kitchen scraps to get this going and not have to constantly try to fix the mix over the next couple of months. Any other source of browns I should consider? Thanks

Comments (6)