SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesmarconnet

Looking for some 'serious' compost tumbler operators

JamesMarconnet
12 years ago

Several months ago I got a slightly used Mantis Vompost-Twin. I used it to do one batch of compost. I never noticed it get hot, but it sure was reduced in volume. It was disappointing to see how little compost I got in that batch. Only about 3 small plastic wheelbarrow loads.

I realized that I'll need a lot of loads processed thru this tumbler to do my desired flower and garden beds to any significant depth of compost. All I got to do was a sprinking over the first bed, where I had hoped to add and till in several inches of compost. I learned a lot fast!

I'm now trying to get 'er going to see how fast I can reasonably get a batch of leaves, coffee grounds, and some lawn fertilizer hot-composted thru a reasonable cool-down period. And then perhaps to "finish" the batch in a trash can composter, or simply in the vegetable bed that I hope to plant Sugar Snap peas in early next spring.

I've been cranking the tumbler about 5 rotations a day, and taking some temperature measurements using an IR thermometer to gauge progress. Anyone aware of any "serious" compost tumbler operators and/or groups?

Jim Marconnet

Comments (16)