SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bari_sax

Compost Tumbler Reviews & Suggestions

17 years ago

Didn't get much of a response on the soil forum, so I'm trying here.

I'm looking into getting a compost tumbler, and am looking for suggestions, reviews, and opinions of those out on the market (see the URL below). We have a small yard (50 x 50 feet or so, with tropical and pseudotropical plants along the perimeter that generate a lot of material), and I'm leaning toward a tumbler that I can easily move elsewhere (along with the trash and recycling cans) when we have outdoor parties. This makes me lean toward the Bio-Orb or the Heavy Duty Compost Ball. I've read elsewhere that some of the rotating drums are hard to roll and get you covered in goop. However, I'm not sure that the ball solutions have enough fins to break up the compost, and the Bio-Orb got a bad review on ConsumerReports.org (although they only reviewed three compost systems). It seems that any of the ones fixed to a stand would be difficult to move once they are loaded up.

My planned method of operation is to rotate whatever tumbler I get once per week (I figure that one advantage of the balls is that I can roll them to wherever the sun is in the yard, then roll them back when I'm using the yard). I imagine I would eventually end up with two balls: One for older material that is ripening, and one to add new material to (i.e. two batches). Also, I'm planning to get a small mulcher (along the lines of the Flowtron LE-900, or perhaps something more durable) to break material down into as small a particulate size as practical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercially Available Compost Tumblers

Comments (10)