SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcroselover

What colour is hybrid tea Pretty Lady really?

6 years ago

Although I dislike garish-coloured roses, I do lust after intense colours with subtle blends of tone, especially a rose pink with a just a touch of violet. I've looked at so many photos of them, but almost none can be grown in my zone 5 area. Then along came Pretty Lady about 3 years ago. The company that released it had a gorgeous photo with just the colour I wanted. But, alas, there were a dozen or more photos on the internet showing an absolutely neon colour that repelled me. The people that posted them almost seemed to want to make them look garrish. I recognized I could never have this rose, because the odds were heavy that the garrish photos were the real color. "No, no, no, I will never buy this rose," I promised myself when I went rose hunting at a nursery. And then, there it was. That photo by the breeders was so seductive, I just grabbed it and took it home. So what was the real colour? The colour is variable in different light, but never garish. It is a strange mixture of intense but soft colour. It is often an exquisite rose pink hued with violet. In different light the violet is gone. The breeder's photo was the accurate one, 95% of those on the internet are rubbish. I instantly fell in love with Pretty Lady after she bloomed. She didn't get bugs or diseased. She was planted in a spot with only 4 hours sun. I don't make my roses produce heavily with so little sun, but she made quite a few roses for me. The question was, would she last through the winter? It was the toughest winter for roses in my memory. The creek froze. It wasn't colder than usual, and my roses have always survived the winter with mulch, so if anything I was a bit skimpy on mulch this year. But something was different with the weather. People say the cold and snow lasted longer. When the roses should have been leafing out, they were still under a foot of snow. And when the snow did melt, every one of them looked dead. They all died back to the ground. I cut them down to about 5 inches and waited. Eventually all did come back, but one of the last ones to show signs of life was Pretty Lady. Every day for weeks I went out and searched in vain for a sprout. Fortunately, I didn't have time to dig it up, because eventually she did come alive and perked right up. She is now beautifully leafed out, about 2-1/2 feet tall already, and making new blossoms. I am very happy with her,. Here is my best effort at showing her real colour in different light.

Comments (7)