SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Replacing wood parquet floor in high rise condo

nosoccermom
6 years ago

I desperately need input from flooring experts.

This is for a small condo (about 500 sqft) on the second floor in a high rise building. Ceiling/floors are concrete There's no tenant underneath.

The current floor is carpet on top of those what I think are old Bruce veneer ply 9x9 tiles from the 60s, like this:

My preference for the new floor is a light plank floor, either floating or glued down. This is what one floor contractor recommended, who has done excellent work for me; however, that was done on floors in low-rise apartments or single homes (no concrete floor). He has seen the condition of the floor before the current carpet was installed, i.e. the bare floor where the water damaged tiles had been removed and the remaining parquet tiles, but he hasn't seen all the concrete floor underneath.

A GC, who is very familiar with the building, recommends replacing everything with new parquet tiles, probably like these:
http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/site-search.asp?q=parquet

This would run about 9.00/sqft incl. new subfloor. He strongly advises against plank floor, because installation would be very difficult:

"I know that the concrete floors have HUGE
unevenness all around and leveling that concrete floor
(raising level of it up to 2” to 3” at certain spots) would take a lot
of time. Then, some wood type of subflooring would need to be installed
on concrete slab and only then the flooring. Whole floor would
rise for maybe 4” !

Any other method of hardwood flooring installation in that condo would not be proper and problems would occur after the installation. NO FLOORING company will
do it the right way and you would end up with problems. That is why parquet was installed initially. Floors do not have to be perfectly straight and you can not see unevenness.I'm not crazy about installing parquet, but is he right? Obviously, I don't want floor guy no. 1 to run into the problems the GC describes above and then end up with a horrible floor.

TIA

Comments (9)