SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gretahoney

Advice for building a warm toned rose bed

gretahoney
6 years ago

I reached out for advice in another posting about what paired well color wise with Munstead Wood. The feedback I got made me decide to go with a warm toned bed, vs a cool toned bed. This is the picture of my front yard that the bed will occupy:

I had first talked about putting roses by the retaining wall to replace some of the lilies, but now plan to extend the bed in front of the porch.

There are three roses that I feel very certain I want to include: Lady of Shallot, Lady Emma Hamilton, and Jude the Obscure (maybe isn't exactly warm, but looks so pretty to me). I want to include maybe 3-4 other roses and have access to the following at a local nursery:

Carding Mill

Graham Thomas

Easy Does It

Strike It Rich

Ch-ching

Julia Child

Teasing Georgia

Poets Wife

Do people have favorites from this list? Anything not on this list that I must have? Beauty, health and hardiness (I live in Central Ohio) are my first priority, delicious scent is a nice to have.

I'd also like something darker to balance the lighter colors. Maybe a warm red? I've seen pictures of Heathcliff and like it a lot, but it's hard to tell the true color of a red from a photo. Suggestions of other warm toned darker roses that might pair well? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (28)