SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Need Advice on Rose Bed Soil

I made a bed several years ago - started it off right, got rid of the grass then spent time piling on rotted horse compost, mulched leaves, bark mulch etc. For several years it has been beautiful. Last summer, in our extreme Texas drought, it took a dive. It was in hot, all day sun and in spite of watering, I lost quite a few roses. I have decided to redo it. Today I spent raking out spring grass weeds, planted a cherry laurel tree to help with shade from late afternoon sun and was digging around my poppies that are coming up and the daylilies. We have had a 2" rain last week so the ground is still fairly damp. But the soil looked to me to be quite damp and rather packed. I have another bed that I have topdressed in spring for many years and the soil is very loose, friable and grows anything well. I am wondering if I have neglected to topdress this bed [which I have the last few years] and it has gotten a bit too dense which means it stays a little wetter than it should.

I plan to correct the soil problem before I start planting. I have mulched leaves, horse compost and access to mushroom compost and bark fines mixed with sand. I would like to know just how to start layering materials, and what materials, to unpack the soil and build it up - I noticed that it has sunk considerably. The soil is not clay or gumbo - and is easily dug with a shovel - it just seems like it might be more dense and would stay wetter than the roses would like. The sun was terrible last summer, but I am wondering if the combination of heat and less than perfect soil might have contributed to the loss of the roses. Thanks for any advice.....

Judith

Comments (6)