SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jitsmith

Can I get a reality check pls?

jitsmith
6 years ago

Renter, going into my 4th yr of flower gardening and still full of enthusiasm, will lose my gardens the end of July. I'm fortunate to have found another place where I can garden and want to take many of my current plants to jump start the new one (current landlords are ok with this), but I'm getting some doubts and worries. I'd love any advice/voices of experience.

Plan:

Dig up, move ca 45 plants from current beds. No budget means garden soil in 5 gallon buckets, totes, garbage bags etc. Keep plants in these containers until mid-Sep. (have 16 1st yr from seed plants now in pots as well).

Water new bed area to soften, stirrup hoe and remove top weeds, turn 2-3" of compost into 3-4" of soil. Keep watered, weed regularly. Re-use above ground mister watering sprays (budget again, would love drip but not practical).

Plant into new bed Mid-Sep, 3-4" mulch w/space around each plant to help water penetrate.

Obsess.

Questions:

Am I trying to do too much? I'm thinking 120-130 sq ft, ca 60 plants, I'll have 6+ weeks to get it ready for planting, should have a few weeks to plant. I'm 73 but okay for it physically if I don't try to do everything in one day.

Are my plants likely to survive mid-summer uprooting, 6 weeks in makeshift containers and then another transplant? I'm not sure where I'll find a partly shady place to keep them.

I know I wont get rid of the weeds but will I be able to control them or will they kill things off? I don't mind some weeding - I direct-sowed wildflower mix on new bed prepared the same way last Fall, weeding and thinning it a lot now, find it sorta contemplative on a good day.

Any recommendations on mulch? New landlords use shredded trees w/drip irrigation I believe; I'll be overhead watering so I'd like something that doesn't mat up too much, doesn't take a deluge to keep soil moist.

What am I missing?

It's depressing to lose my gardens, it's exciting to have new places to work with - and I worry about losing my perspective in the back and forth. Thx for any help.

Comments (6)