SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_mcbride47

Large Bedroom with Small Furniture

Sarah McBride
6 years ago

So, I have a nice large beautiful bedroom with bay windows. The problem is that when I was younger, all my friends had twin beds, so I insisted on giving up my queen-sized four-poster bed in exchange for my brother's twin-sized bed. Now that I'm older and have some decorating sense, I realize what a big mistake that was! Because the room is so big, I have an issue with finding a furniture arrangement that looks good, is functional, and doesn't end up with all the furniture pushed lengthwise against the wall which creates this gaping empty space in the middle of the room.

I'm not looking to change furniture or rugs or anything like that because I will be moving out of my parents' house in a few years after college, but I'd like some advise on how to arrange things so the room at least feels full and grounded again. I have an apartment near my college (out-of-state) which I have designed and arranged very well, so it's always a bit of a shock to my system when I come home (and I'm sure it affects my mental health as well). I wouldn't be against buying a few inexpensive items to help out.

My main issues are the larger pieces of furniture. So that's my bed, the desk, and the dresser. The desk and dresser both have unfinished backs, so my only options are to leave them against the wall, or find a way to cover the unfinished wood. I also still need to have a space around my desk for the ironing board and body form because I sew a lot when I'm home.

I'm also attaching a couple designs that I've created using online programs do give a better sense of what I'm trying to do. Two bits of information I forgot to put in the screenshots: the door to enter my room opens inwards and is the one on the far right (the other two are closet doors), and there is a window on the wall across from the doors which is right in the middle of the desk in diagramMaybe you'll see that I'm just stuck in a certain pattern and can't get over that hump.
Any advise is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

Also, sorry for not including any actual photos. My room is currently in shambles as I only just returned home and am in the process of getting rid of unnecessary things.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer