SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joegarden1

Rhododendron under Maples (Norway...) and others trees in L.I. NY

Joe F
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,
I recently decided to improve an area of woods along the edge of our property, by making an informal garden of mostly rhododendron. Our neighbor, who is a rhododendron enthusiast, wanted some larger bushes cleared away to make room for his newer plantings, so I couldn't pass on the opportunity. Many of the bushes are over 15 years old, so they are quite large and beautiful.
The woods here are overrun with Norway Maple, with only some scattered sassafras, black cherry, red oak. My concern is with the Norway Maples. I cleared as many smaller saplings as I could, on the advice of my neighbor and others online, opening up a lot of light here and there. However, I am afraid if I remove anymore, I'll be losing the wooded effect, which is what I wanted for the garden and which is providing the filtered light to begin with.
I suppose my question is how much should I worry about the competition of/strangling by the Norway Maple roots? All the plantings have been bermed, about a foot higher than surrounding ground, using loose soil (sandy loam and topsoil with mulch/chips, etc.), with little to no disturbance in the base soil. Every planting is at least 6 ft away from any trunks, with most being 10+ feet. There are some plantings 20+ feet away, also.
In contrast, in my neighbor's yard, he fortunately has hardly any maples but many oaks. He says he has to water heavily in the summer, as many of his rhodos are planted right next to these massive trees. His rhodos are very healthy.
My hope is since the bushes are mature for the most part and have large root systems kept in tact (4+ ft balls taken on many of the larger bushes), that they will fair okay. Also, not all of the maples are very mature (many only 1 ft or so in diameter).
I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. I'd hate to see some of these beautiful, mature rhodies start to fail in a few years.
Thank you.
Joe

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH