SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_wingit

Window Tint, (FWIW)

6 years ago

I've struggled since moving to south Florida with growing AVs. Never had a problem with growing them in natural light elsewhere. After trying to pinpoint the problem, I think I have it. Maybe. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about it other than move! Hah! Anyway, I wanted to post this info I found after some serious sleuthing. This was on a site about window tinting:

"In most cases, the film will go totally un-noticed by your houseplants. Occasionally we find that the film is beneficial to certain types of tropical plants, as the window environment that they had been living in was simply a little too warm for their own good. The application of the film created the perfect climate for them to thrive in. The only common exception to this is in the case of African Violets, which need large amounts of ultraviolet light to thrive. Unfortunately for the violets, 3M Architectural films are designed specifically to eliminate UV in order to protect your interior. Moving the violets to an un-treated window for two days a week is usually sufficient to keep them happy and healthy."

What's odd, the only AVs that are doing sort of ok are the three Optimara Modesty I have. Although with the heat near the window, there's not a lot of leaf variegation but they look healthy are are blooming.

Comments (2)