SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Lakeside Paisley Print vs. Pocketful of Sunshine or ?

atmoscat
6 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm trying to choose a hosta to fill a bed along my front porch, in front of a row of rhododendrons. The space is about 20' long by 3' wide. I'd like something that's a combination of dark green and gold/yellow/chartreuse or possibly cream. I seem to gravitate towards varieties with dark edges and light centers, but would consider the reverse as well. I'd like them to be fairly small - I'd say 30" or less across - so they're more like a groundcover than individual specimens. I'd like a relatively fast grower so that they fill in quickly. The two leading contenders at the moment are Lakeside Paisley Print and Pocketful of Sunshine. Any preferences or thoughts on which of these might be better for this application? One concern I have is that both of these might be a little small so will have less impact and take longer and/or more plants to fill in. Another one under consideration that's slightly larger is June Spirit. Any other suggestions?

I'm in zone 6a, Boston MA suburbs. Here's a photo of the space. Sorry it's dark - this is the north side of the house, so hard to photograph. I do want something that will brighten it up! Thanks for your help!!

Comments (16)