SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

My first hosta order for 2011!

mosswitch
13 years ago

I placed my first hosta order for 2011, from Countryside Flowers and Gifts yesterday! Got Clovelly, Rhino Hide, Lakeside Paisley, Devil's Advocate, Sea Ebony and Goodness Gracious. And to go along with them, Tricyrtis TakakumaHotogieu (with yellow flowers) and Hellebore Red Racer.

Now for the next catalog........

Comments (57)

• rosie742001
    13 years ago

I keep looking at everyone else's list and my list gets longer. But I definetely want Paisley Print, I re-a-lly want that one. So I make a list of what I want and start cutting it down to what I can afford.

• jspece
    13 years ago

As long as the stems looked alive, I'm sure your deer nibbled plant will be fine. If it doesn't return, though, let me know!

• Related Discussions

Dissapointed with my 2011 DA Order

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not sure what causes new roses to just sit there and do nothing all season (sometimes even for two or more seasons) after being planted in our gardens, but I don't think it is peculiar to David Austin. I have a couple that I planted last spring that are doing absolutely nothing--I don't believe either of them came from David Austin. It's very frustrating. When this happened occasionally in the past, I sometimes moved the non-grower to a new home--and sometimes that helped. Other times, it was just as do-nothing in its new spot as it was earlier in the old spot. I also have an Austin Jubilee Celebration I got from Park's--real runt that sat there for 3-4 years before it started growing with any vigor. Good thing for it that I liked the bloom so well--wouldn't have waited that long for just any rose, after all! You have my sympathy. Wish someone would figure why some roses just sit there for months and months and months, doing nothing the whole time. Kate
    ...See More

My first Hosta Bed

Q

Comments (55)
    many hosta have a waxy.. glaucous coating on the leaves .. overhead watering.. especially in the heat of summer.. can wear such off .. totally changing some hosta coloration ... if you ever decide to switch out to a drip line.. look at techline products ... see link below ... i use a mile of it around the house ... some of it just off a garden hose.. as its self regulating ..... sounds like a commercial ... but it isnt ... also ... what trees did you till under ... i did that once.. barely lived to regret it ... as the trees... after a few years.. took back over with roots ... did you disturb a lot of roots??? regardless.. sublime job ... hard work pays off... and you are apparently a worker bee.. lol ... ken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCSYeCyuM3c
    ...See More

My First Order

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Karen, looks like you're just starting to get into hostas? Niagara Falls is one of my most favorite hostas, I'm sure you will love it too, it gets really big! Zounds is a bit slow for me but it's also a nice hosta. Good luck with your new purchases!
    ...See More

Got part of my hosta order today!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Nw, hahaha——-you are so right! I actually have more space for sun hostas than shade or partial shade. This year, I used pots &stick labels to place where I would put them In the yard. (Steveduggins idea). I also made a list. Sun vs shade, with sizes and colors so as I walked around I could make good and artistic decisions. Hahaha, me talking about artistic! I just want to make sure I am not putting two similar hostas together. Also, I will admit, I have a couple of hostas I am not so fond of and would dig them out in a minute. btw, nw, your Ruffled ME was the inspiration for my RME purchase. debra peren, these were my Hornbakers hostas and they do ship a good size. Ruffled ME came from Maple Creek Daylilies. They sell hostas too.
    ...See More
  • mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate that, Josh, but I'm sure it will be ok! It was Dancing Queen, it looked great up until Bambi decided he liked it! Forgot to put a basket over that one. Spring will tell.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Mosswitch...
    Where are you finding wire baskets?
    I've got a Thumper problem here, but I'm not finding any cost-effective wire baskets.

Last year wasn't too bad and I didn't really lose any hostas to bunnies until late summer. But in years past, I've had to put chicken wire around my entire garden until mid June.

• tsbccowboy
    13 years ago

Melissa,

I also use wire baskets to protect small, new plants and to cover slug bait. Here is a photo of a basket covering slug bait:

I get the baskets from the dollar store, near Cub Foods on Cedar Ave.

Cowboy

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Cowboy.... I went there this year and had no luck. I even called around. Wish I could get my hands on some! Will you message me if you find them around town?

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just use wire hanging baskets (that you line with spagnum) that I got at the garden center a while back. I got the idea from MoBot when I was there last spring, they did the same thing. Just turn them upside down over the plants, I did put a rock on top too. Of course you can form a dome shape out of chicken wire or concrete reinforcing wire that will do pretty much the same thing. That's what I may do this year when I run out of baskets. If they get a bit rusty, so much the better, they won't snow up as bad in the garden.

Sandy

• daniss
    13 years ago

I see Lakeside Paisley Print is everyones favorite :0
    I also placed my first order with Garden Breeze Hostas and will get Lakeside Paisley Print, Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled, Miss Tokyo, Goodness Gracious, Neptune, and Rhino Hide - a Chrismas gift for myself :).
    Happy Holidays to everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Breeze Hostas

• Steve Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Don't those prices from Garden Breeze seem high to you?

• daniss
    13 years ago

I am not sure about the rest of the hostas, but the ones I have ordered are priced lower than the same plants at In The Country Garden and Gifts mentioned on here aswell. I did purchase from Garden Breeze Hostas through a hosta library auction this past summer, and was very pleased with the quality of the hostas I received. Hope to get the same quality with my current order.
    Dani

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

I looked at the section for new introductions and yes, some prices are high, some are low and others are right in line with Naylor, Hallsons, In the Country, etc.

Also something to note is that the owners are saying that most are shipped with at least 2 eyes. That'd be worth paying a bit more for.

However, I don't think I'm familiar with Garden Breeze... I don't recall their name being mentioned here on the GW forums in the last 4 years I've been here.

There's a website you could find by googling "Garden Breeze Hostas Review". It'll be the first one to come up. It's a great place to look up mail order nurseries. This place has literally NO reviews. No positives, neutrals or negatives. Sounds like they're new and they have no track record to speak of, so you don't really know their practices with pest and disease control. Proceed with caution.

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

I just ordered Emerald Ruff Cut, Golden Meadows and Lederhosen from Hallson at reasonable prices. Usually they add a free one, and send most plants with 2 eyes. That's all I have unassigned space for.

In later spring I will probably add larger size hostas from Land of the Giants Hosta Farm.
    Bernd

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    13 years ago

So far, Devil's Advocate, Moon Split, and Lakeside Paisley Print.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

After seeing the pics of uk_hostaman's Risky Business, I went and ordered two of them. That's it so far! I'm running out of room on my small yard. (Hmmm, there's always pots lol...)

• hosta_junkie
    13 years ago

So I'm minding my own business, checking out the latest postings on the hosta forum, only to be enticed to check out the Hallson sale. Followed by a significant order, many of which were on the ever-evolving wish list, and others which I decided simply must find their way to my gardens while perusing the on-line catalog. Thus, my first official order of the CY2011 gardening season (even though it was placed on December 31) contains these beauties:

Autumn Frost
    Brother Stefan
    Cheatin Heart
    Dancing Stars
    Deja Blu
    Extasy
    Faithful Heart
    Flemish Sky
    Fried Bananas
    Frosted Mouse Ears
    Golden Meadows
    Great Arrival
    Katie Q
    Lakeside Cha Cha
    Lakeside Party Dress
    Lullabye
    Luna Moth
    Mighty Mouse
    One Man's Treasure
    Radiant Star
    Ripple Effect
    Smooth Sailing
    Sweet Innocence
    Waving Wuffles

Ah, but that I could say "I'm done for the season" and even half-heartedly believe it. But there remain 63 hostas on the wish list, even after this order, and undoubtedly the number will grow. Unless I delete this website from my favorites and permanently block it from my computer! But what fun would that be????

--HJ

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

I have ordered, at this point, from Hallsons, In the Country and Jim's. I have a cart all ready to go for Naylor Creek.

My wish list IS getting shorter. I think that's due in large part to actually documenting it, with pics, in Excel. I'm editing and buying from it. So, I guess the good news is that I'm trying to stay to my list. I have only about 20 on my wish list and I know I could easily pick those up in the spring if I have the room. With what I've ordered and have in my cart and what I know a local grower has for me, I'm at about 40. And after that, I do not plan on buying anymore. I know I won't be as tempted by local sellers as I have been in the past since I've exhausted what they have.

And I'm actually kinda thinking my obsession is shifting from hostas to heucheras. I have a loaded cart from Casita Azul for another dozen or so heucheras (and relatives) but I hesitate to pull the trigger on those till I know if the new garden area I prepared for them is going to be as successful as the areas where they've been living until now. I just obsessed with the rainbow of leaf colors available in heuchera relatives!

I hope to do lots of planting in the spring (prior to my hosting a garden party in mid June) and spend the rest of the summer enjoying what I've done and maintaining. I'd also like to re-work my sun garden, since it's getting crowded and looking less than appealing (to my eye).

My heuchera wish list:

• franknjim
    13 years ago

I am getting ready to submit my first orders of the year for 53 new additions. About a dozen of them are on my actual want list and the rest I just want.
    1. Appletini
    2. Autumn Frost
    3. Azuretini
    4. Backyard Monster
    5. Brother Stefan
    6. Celebrity
    7. Cherry Tomato
    8. Coal Miner
    9. Continental Divide

1. Deja Blu
    2. Devil's Advocate
    3. Eclipse
    4. Electrocution
    5. El Nino
    6. Fluted Fountain
    7. Fruit Punch
    8. Gila River
    9. Gone with the Wind
    10. June Fever
    11. Lakeside Black Satin
    12. Lakeside Paisley Print
    13. Laura Lanier
    14. Lemontini
    15. Lewis and Clark
    16. Limetini
    17. Little Miss Sunshine
    18. Little Stiffy
    19. Luna Moth
    20. Midnight at the Oasis
    21. Mike Shadrack
    22. Niagara Falls
    23. Oshima Silk
    24. Prince of Darkness
    25. Remember Me
    26. Rhino Hide
    27. Saint Elmo's Fire
    28. Saketini
    29. Simply Sharon
    30. Sleeping Beauty
    31. Star Wars
    32. Steffi
    33. Stormy Seas
    34. Surfer Girl
    35. Sum of All
    36. Thunder Boomer
    37. Tobacco Road
    38. Tonoko Tachi
    39. Vim and Vigor
    40. Waukon Water
    41. Wave Runner
    42. Winter Snow
    43. Wonderland
    44. Yankee Blue
  • thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Uh oh, you've got it BAD!!! (says pot to kettle)

• franknjim
    13 years ago

No. I don't got it, that's why I have to get it. I added about 150 last year, 50 the year before that and I will probably get another 150 later this year in addition to what I listed. I added just one more onto that order last night.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

No, you DO got it! You got the illness. It takes another hostaholic sometimes to tell you when you have it. And my friend, you have hostaholism.

I added about 150 last year too. This year, it'll be no more than 50.

• rosie742001
    13 years ago

I"do got it "too. My want list keeps growing including Hosta and Heuchera.I have a large shade garden, but I have to have help with it cause I am 84 and I have arthritis, but I am determined to have my Host garden. I also belong to Hallson's club and I sent a small order to Chris.

• franknjim
    13 years ago

I work my hosta want list like this. I shop and get about a dozen or more that are on my want list and any additional hostas that catch my eye. Then I remove the ones from my want list that I did buy and add a few dozen more names to my list. This way I always have a nice full list of hostas to buy next time. I am forcing myself not to go too crazy buying hostas and am making myself get a few other things too like 75 lily bulbs in 16 varieties and a dozen new sedums. I have two more small full sun areas that I need to fill up so I can get rid of what is left of the grass.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

What terrific systems, melissa and franknjim! I would feel SO much better if I actually had a system other than "like it, gotta buy it"! Feels scientific as opposed to merely obsessive (or greedy or crazy or mildly disturbed). And I am another who, if I don't got it, gotta get it. ;)

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Cyn.... I find that by working a list, it helps me to not be too much of an impulse buyer. I might see pics of something I like, or observe it in a garden. If I put it on a list, I might be able to research it a bit to find out if it's difficult to grow or is an under performer.

This way, I'm not knowingly buying duds. I did buy a few impulse purchases last year, but for the most part, I knew what I was getting.

This is the best way that I've found, to maximize my hosta dollars for best plants for the money.

Heucheras... well, I'm a little more weak to their seduction.

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

Melissa, I`m finding myself in the same boat recently about Heucheras. Have you seen the new trailing or groundcover Heucherellas?
    'Redstone Falls' and 'Yellowstone Falls'.
    'Redstone Falls' just went to the top of my list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heucherella 'Redstone Falls'

• franknjim
    13 years ago

The problem I see with avoiding a variety that others say is a dud is that things grow differently depending on where you live, your soil, your placement and the level of care you give your hostas. A hosta that grows poorly for someone else could grow great for you and exceed what it has done for others. That can be a really nice surprise. I would however be more cautious with the varieties that are very expensive and wouldn't go hog wild.

I do take my want list when I go shopping and I try to stick to it but there is always going to be that one hosta or six that catches my eye and becomes an impulse buy. If you don't buy it you get home, look it up then wish you had bought it. Then you have to go back with your updated list to get those you didn't buy on impulse the first time and the entire viscious cycle starts over.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Nutmeg... yup. Saw 'em. Ordered 'em.
    I've got about a dozen or so heuchera on order.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Only two so far for 2011 ordered. Two Risky Business hostas from Hosta's Direct (only place I could find them that's also a good place) after seeing uk_hostamans RB's. Gorgeous! Don't quite know where I'll put them yet, but I just HAD to have them! :)

• woodthrush
    13 years ago

lol - oh, Frank, don't listen to them. You are not a hostaholic
    Your local pusher

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Placed my 2011 on-line orders this week - 21 hosta total (4 vendors). About 2/3 were on my list and took a flier on a couple of others. Planning to purchase about 30-35 hosta this year - so pretty much done. Bought quite a few from local hosta gardeners last year - great value - hope that trend continues. Trying a new vendor for the first time - In The County Garden and Gifts(IA).

Hope to start some seeds later today. Starting to get the fever.....

Candy Dish
    Captain's Adventure
    Cathedral Window
    Emerald Necklace
    Fat Cat
    Final Summation
    Frosty Morn
    Garden Treasure
    Jewel of the Nile
    Johnny Angel
    Just June
    Lakeside Paisley Print
    Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled
    Luna Moth
    Nancy
    Neptune
    Purple Haze
    Radiant Star
    Rosedale Misty Pathways
    Stand By Me
    War Paint

Paul

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think you will be disappointed with In the Country. This is my 2nd year ordering from there.

Sent in my next orders!

Totally Twisted
    Raspbery Sorbet
    Flemish Gold
    Childhood Fantasy
    Astral Bliss
    Raspberry Sundae
    Neptune
    Lakeside Dragonfly
    Dragon Fire
    Midnight at the Oasis
    Witches Brew
    Piedmont Gold
    Tiny Tears
    Clausa
    Emerald Ruff Cut
    Dragon's Eye

Plus a "Hearthrob" violet as a companion plant.

That brings to 25 my total ordered so far.

I only have one more hosta order to go, then a couple of orders for other planta and I'm done with orders for this year!

I still am going to order from Jim's Hostas:

Redneck Heaven
    Bedspread
    Little Black Scape
    SnowFlakes
    Tobacco Road

That's all, folks! Well, at least until the local nurseries open in the spring!

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

What an interesting thread!

Looking at everyone's list, here's a list of ones I agree, due to having them already, mostly (exceptions noted):

Brother Stefan - I'm voting this one as a future HOTY.

Katie Q - ours is planted right next to last years HOTY, and nobody even noticed the HOTY, they all oohd and aahd about KatieQ.

One Man's Treasure - cool plant, even cooler 'story' about how it came to be called that . . . ;-) And my wife 'caught' me when I labeled ours 'One Man's Pleasure' whoops!

Remember Me - about the best of the June progeny.

Rhino Hide - don't yet have, but itchin' . . .

Winter Snow - one of the best SnS children

Cathedral Windows - way better than it's parent.

Jewel of the Nile - stunning when true, but as a prior thread notes, it's 'a matter of time' till it reverts

Raspberry Sorbet - surprised to see this on folks lists, but glad because it's a beautiful bloomer!

hh

• hosta-see
    13 years ago

So far tracy's emerald cup, pamela lee, black beauty, spinach patch, gray cole, twisted sisters, purple haze, jaws, faithful heart, black hills, clear fork river valley, sum of all, smokey bear, shade master and still looking!

• dianemumm
    13 years ago

Wow, I don't feel like I have many hostas at all, some of you have oodles of Hostas. I believe I have around 50 and counting, but not all are planted in the ground. Hopefully get to that come Spring.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Woodland Gardens

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Diane... it starts with "50". Be careful around here. There are a lot of enablers here and we tend to egg you toward the next purchase. I started in 2007 with the few hostas the previous owners left for me.... Maybe a dozen or so.

Going into the 2011 season, I'm at about 400. This year, I'll add about 50.... most of which are already on order.

My 400 is nothing compared to some of the other members numbers... a few members getting into well over 1000 varieties.

• sharlened
    13 years ago

I have placed my orders with 3 vendors:

Bridgewood Gardens:
    Green With Envy
    Lakeside Black Satin
    Lunar Orbit
    Valerie's Vanity
    Touch of Class

Hallsons:
    Deep Blue Sea
    Katie Q
    Kiwi Full Monty
    Radiant Star
    Rainbow's End
    Sum It Up

Naylor:
    Captain's Adventure
    Gentle Giant
    Irish Luck
    Lakeside Lollipop
    Luna Moth
    Magic Fire
    Scallion Pancakes
    Lakeside Paisley Print

I have not ordered from Hallsons or Naylor before, but because they have such good reviews on this forum I decided to try them out. Am anxious to see the plants! I also see Casita Azul is offering a 15% discount off orders of $30.00 or more. Has anyone ordered from them before?

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered plants from Casita Azul last year, only one hosta and a variety of other things, but I was pleased with everything I got. I've ordered more hostas from them this year.

• sharlened
    13 years ago

Oops! I forgot I also placed an order with Land of the Giants for Potomic Pride, Heart and Soul, and Wagon Wheels. First time ordering from them as well.

• coralb
    13 years ago

Every year I set myself a limit (which every year seems to increase). This year it was 15. Here they are:

Lakeside Paisley Print (which was not on my list until this post started!)
    Golden Scuplture
    Quilted Hearts
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Neat and Tidy
    Lakeside Black Satin
    Warwick Comet
    Cathedral Windows
    Holly's Dazzler
    Hoosier Dome
    Northern Exposure
    Dawn's Early Light
    Mango Tango
    Viking Ship
    Cold Heart

I also bought some liners from hostaliners (Nifty Fifty, Faith, Vulcan, Rainforest Sunrise). I figure these do not count towards my 15 per year. I know that folks have cautioned against trying liners but I figured they were so inexpensive I would give it a try. It might be cool seeing little ones grow up.

Finally, I plan on visiting a hosta nursery in SC in April and will probably pick up a few there. So you can see how well my limit of 15 works!

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

coralb,

Sure hope your liner of H. 'Rainforest Sunshine' goes for you. Here's ours, also once a liner, after about 5-7 years (it's in the lower left corner):

From Drop Box

hh

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Bump for Deanna

Added Love Spat - a streaked Love Pat.

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    13 years ago

I put in my first order this week. In the Country Gardens:
    Adorable
    Devil's Advocate (for my sister - a Blue Angle devotee)
    Tickle Me Pink

I will buy more from Venero this spring and will probably pick some out at the regional in Madison.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Here goes:

In the Country Garden & Gifts:
    Peppermint Ice
    Glory Hallelujah
    Lakeside Prophcy Fullfilled
    Lots of Heuchera (and friends), plus a few other oddities

Naylor Creek:
    Captain's Adventure
    Copa Cabana
    Foxfire Palm Sunday
    Gentle Giant
    Irish Luck
    Lime Smoothie
    LS Paisley Print
    Magic Fire
    Paradise Glory
    Regal Supreme
    Ripple Effect
    Secret Ambition
    War Paint

Hallsons:
    Jaz
    Radiant Star
    Emerald Ruff Cut
    Roy Klehm
    Warwick Comet
    Bix Blues
    Katie Q
    Rascal

Jim's:
    Regalia
    Grand Tiara
    The Shining
    Spinning Wheel
    Christmas Candy
    LS Dividing Line (OS)

Glenbrook:
    LS Cindy Cee
    Joshua's Banner
    Emeraled Scepter
    Gay Search
    Heuchera Kassandra

I've limited myself to about 50 hostas this year. These that I've ordered, plus another 11 or so that I am getting from a local vendor, 2 from another local vendor, 1 from a third local vendor, that leaves me only 2 more I can add... unless spring planting shows me that I have room for more!

• glosgarden
    13 years ago

coralb....how can I find hostaliners?

• diggindutchman
    13 years ago

Glosgarden, Try this site for liners:
    http://www.hostaliners.com/catalog/
    Hope this helps. It's a good way to get started with the newest varieties and watch them mature with your care. I've been using liners for over 10 years and never had any problems with them and you are pretty much guaranteed not to have any HVX virus or other disease.
    John

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tacking on a few more that I am getting bareroot for just a little above cost this week at the nursery where I work:

Jurassic Park
    Lakeside Cupcake
    Moonstruck
    Night Before Christmas (to replace one I got a few years ago that wasn't)
    Popcorn
    Robert Frost
    Blue Hawaii
    Fire and Ice (to replace one that hasn't done well)

I have given up counting the total.

• glosgarden
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info John, I ordered 5 liners this afternoon!
    I have grown them before but did not know there was a place that would let you order just one of a variety....

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Glos...
    Hostas Direct has liners, but they call 'em "Starter TC's".
    They pretty much take a thumb-size liner, stick it in a 1" cell and call it a "Starter TC"

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Google for 'hosta liners', there was a Garden Web thread which gives more details :
    Hosta Liners, Posted by slp0100 4 on Thu, Jan 28, 10.

• coralb
    13 years ago

I found them at the link below. They are already sold out of a lot of the ones I would have gotten. For the price I figure I would give them a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Liners

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH