SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Are Lakesides slow for you?

mctavish6
13 years ago

I was looking through some pictures in preparation of the "L's" eventually starting. Usually we do the Lakeside's separately and since I always have too many of each letter and do a bad job of eliminating, I hope that they are separate this time too.

When I was putting the names on the pictures I decided to make comments about their growth in hopes of helping someone who might be considering that plant. My growing experience is probably not tipical since I tend to crowd my plants and move them around a lot in the first few years. They do get good soil and lots of water but our shorter growing season must play a part too. I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize that in general, the Lakesides are slow for me.

The worst, for me, is Lakeside Black Satin which I have grown in shade to try to get the dark color. After several years I realized it produced 3 eyes which each produced three or four leaves. This was not enough. I dug it up and found one of those hard centers. Usually I think that is on full mature plants which mine wasn't . I divided the plant into three and put it in 3 different places. None of them have actually leaped but they are better then they were before. Now I seem to have trouble with them getting color evenly. I understand that Epson Salts might help. I will try that this summer. The other slow one Lakeside San Kao was partly my fault. I grew it in several place try to get it to grow. When it finally showed promise we had a bad spring 2007 which set it back to square one. This year for the first time at least the leaves were larger. For the most part I am happy with these plants and will continue to buy them but I am now prepared for them to take much longer. Some are exceptions like Lakeside Hoola Hoop which at only 2 years was a joy to me last year.

This year I have ordered - Lakeside Sparkle Plenty - Lakeside Breaking News - Lakeside Paisley Print and Lakeside Baby Face.

Let's see your Lakesides and comments about their growth in your area.

This first one was sold as Lakeside Symphony but never was varigated. It is not as yellow as Piedmont Gold so wasn't a reversion to the parent. I just call it Lakeside.

Being slow growing is probably an advantage with this one. It now tears a little on a few leaves but not too much and I love the varigation.

Comments (15)