SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_krutewicz

Need suggestions for thin lawn, soil sample results.

Don Krutewicz
6 years ago

Live in the Midwest. I had builder fescue-blend sod laid in fall of 2013 over mostly clay soil. Over the last two seasons, my front yard has not been growing in very thick. Compared to the back, it is night and day. Sent off a soil report to Logan last week and got the results and have been reviewing them for ideas. Hoping for others' opinions.

Some facts:

• Last fall, de-thatched, aerated and over-seeded with good quality TTF.
  • in April, put down weed and feed granular at bag rate. Back yard greened up great but front never did. See pics.
  • I mulch mow at the highest setting now, after adjusting 1-2" over the course of the spring.
  • We have had what I would consider good growing weather, lot of sunny 60-70 degree days/50 degree nights and .50-.75" of rain per week on average over the past month. I am running sprinklers when needed to make up the difference.
  • Front yard is thinner this year after the fall maintenance than years prior! Found that surprising. Had a lot of new growth in the fall in barest spots, before it went dormant but overall coming in very thin. Both neighbors have good green up using the same Scotts stuff from Lowes.
  • Soil test results show good TEC and 'ok' pH. Organic matter is rather low as is the Phosphorus and Potassium. Attaching because I am new to reading the reports so any guidance is helpful.

As we go into Memorial Day weekend, I was planning on putting down Milorganite for the first time but not sure. What would be your ideas for the rest of the season? Overall, I am looking for recommendations based on my report and synopsis as to how to 'thicken up' the front areas of my yard.

Any recommendations?

1) Soil Report

2) Front yard

2) Backyard for comparison

Comments (18)