SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
argreen73

Need advice on gritty mix for large cactus planters

argreen73 (North Florida/Zone 8b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have read so much about Al's gritty mix and the different components people use to make it. It sound like some put more or less of certain parts, but also different types of bark which retain more/less water, depending on what is growing in the mix.

I am going to put six fairly large planters outside of my husband's office and fill them with a variety of cacti. I've been buying Bonsai Jack succulent/cactus mix for my plants at home, but I need such a large amount for these that I'll need to make it.

We live in Florida and the planters will be out in the weather, so I definitely need it to be very quick draining and not hold any excess water. We have long periods of hot, dry weather but also periods of afternoon storms around here.

Can anyone tell me what they'd recommend for an all around good mixture for cacti in these conditions? I know every plant is different, and I expect that I may lose some that don't do as well, but I will just keep going until I find plants that do best.

I've been very confused by the different ingredients. I know they must all be basically the same, but I don't know if some are easier to filter (and best way to do that) or which are more consistently the correct size. Repotme.com seems to have all the parts, but if I could find equivalent quality components locally for less, I'd prefer that. Here are the components of Al's Gritty Mix that I see people discuss the most. Does anyone recommend one over the others, and should I stick to 1:1:1 for cacti?

1) Turface MVP vs Turface All Sport vs Napa Floor Dry (All Sport is sold locally - 50 lb for $10)

2) crushed granite vs gran-i-grit vs chicken grit

3) pine bark vs fir bark vs Reptibark

Like I said, I'm new to making my own gritty mix, so I don't want to mess this up or waste money with lower quality components.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I know the same topic is talked about all over the message boards, but that's my problem. Too much information going every which way!

Allison

Comments (3)