SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jala4260

Need Advice. Gritty Mix (minus bark) and Houseplants

jala4260
12 years ago

I have two detailed questions in this thread that I seek advice for. First is to devise proper Turface and Granite Grit ratio to allow for scheduled watering once a week. Second is to find out what to use in my water.

I recently potted most of my houseplants in Al's Gritty Mix of equal parts turface, grit, and bark. However, with the all the houseplants being in-house, the stench of bark (decomposing?) smells really bad!

I would like to switch to using just Turface and Granite Grit. My understanding is that the bark is used to lower pH and provide little nutrients.

I read somewhere on this forum that 1.5 Turface and 1 Grit would equal about the same water retention as 1-1-1 Gritty Mix -- which is the guideline I'm following to devise a varying water retention mixture.

I want to know how to go about with watering -- what to add to my water to compensate for the lack of bark.

I use water from my sink that is filtered (drinking water) with 1/4 Tablespoon of Dyna-Gro Foilage Pro per 1.5 Litter of Water.

Currently, I have lemon/lime trees outdoors giving me plenty of fruits, could I just squeeze the juice from the lemon/limes into my water everytime to compensate (lower the pH) for the lack of bark? How should I do this (how much to use); if not a good idea, what alternatives?

The plants will likely have different pH requirements so they are listed below for reference.

Now to devise a mixture so I can water on schedule for all my plants once a week...

Listed by Common Name --- Botanical/Latin Name -- Gritty Ratio Suggestion

1) Snake Plant --- Sansevieria Trifasciata "Laurentii," "Lillian True," and other var. -- 1.5 Turface: 1 Grit OR 2 Turface: 1 Grit

2) Peace Lily --- Spathiphyllum ... Sweet Pablo and other cultivars --- 3 Turface: 1 Grit or Pure Turface

3) Prayer Plant --- Marantaceae Calathea... --- 3 Turface: 1 Grit or Pure Turface

4) Sago Palm --- Cycas revoluta --- 2 Turface: 1 Grit

5) Lucky Bamboo --- Dracaena sanderiana --- Pure Turface (these seem to grow okay in water?)

I haven't mixed it it -- I'm hoping for some input/corrections/changes to my ratio before I go ahead and do this.

The ones I'm suggesting a high amount of Turface or Pure turface is because they seem to have a high transpiration rate and go droppy quickly in 2-3 days after watering.

I'm currently planting the Peace Lily and Prayer plants in 2 Turface: 1 Grit: 2.5 Bark. They seem go dry fast.

Comments (14)