SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Does anyone have Blue Pea Vine seeds?

I am looking for some blue pea vine seeds or double blue pea vine seeds. Does anyone have a few they can share? I would be happy to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

In the past, we had a bunch of threads/posts saying what a great plant this is. But somehow I never got one.

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (32)

• Pea
    6 years ago

I used to have this...the butterflies loved it...neighbor's morning glories over ran it sadly.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

I'll keep my eyes open for a pod(s); I have the double blue. - June

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

I have quite a few pods, some of which are "plump" with seed, but they're still green. Haven't paid attention as to how long it takes a pod to brown. I'll keep watch. - June

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
  • Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

June, thank you! That's great!

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

June, thanks so much for the seeds! I searched this forum and found a couple old threads about pea vine seed germination (and apparently, their sometimes-stubbornness!)

I soaked the seeds overnight and started them using the baggie method.

That Youtube video is great at a speed of 1.5 or 2.0. That cuts a 16:44 video down to 10 minutes (using speed of 1.5) or even 8 minutes (using speed of 2.0). Click the Settings cogwheel and select Speed and then select 1.5 or 2.0.

I'll report back and post photos when the seeds germinate.

Thanks again, June!

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

So a few of these germinated super-fast! I soaked them in water for at least 24 hours or it might have been 48 hours - I lost track. :( Then I popped them into the baggie with a wet paper towel and two of them already have 1/2" roots since Monday (48 hours). I only need one, right? Way cool, June!

Carol

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

So happy you already have germination, Carol. Last year I removed other plants that were growing beneath and into my vine, and left just a mulched area. This AM I counted 17 emerging pea vine sprouts there. I potted two, in case I find someone who wants one.

Tidbit...the blue pea vine seeds I sent are the offspring of seeds from a Taiwan gardener.

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

June, excellent that you found some backups. It's always good to have backups.

That is cool to know these seeds have relatives across the globe. :)

Those of us on the internet have gone a long way to help spread DNA! :)

I put the two germinated seeds into little grow-pots this evening. The roots were up to almost an inch long! The rest of them look like they may germinate, too, but five of the seeds were much larger than the rest and they look like they will all germinate first.

I'm smitten with the baggie method!

Carol

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

June, I would like to give these a try. Never heard of them but I primarily grow flowers for butterflies and would like to try these. If you have any spare seeds, please let me know.

I would love more info on this plant, how it grows?

Thanks,

Jane

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

Jane, I sent you an email on Friday - June

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    6 years ago

Is this type of pea eatable?

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

June, Thank you!!

I'll update you.

Jane

• whgille
    6 years ago

Carol, my blue pea vine was from a plant that I got it in the Biosphere nursery, it lasted few seasons and I did not grow it again.

Glenn, somewhere in Asia is edible, but since I am not familiar with it, I would not try it.:) it is also used to make dyes. I have a different kind of edible for us snap peas that are blue and I grow them in my garden every season.

A picture from May 2013

Silvia

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked whgille
  • Glenn Jones(9b)
    6 years ago

Silvia those are so pretty I love them. I have a really nice purple greenbean im growing this year they have been in the ground only a couple of weeks. When I was a kid my grandma grew them but she called them purple cow peas and it turned out that is not what she had. I just managed to track down what she was really growing and I'm doing my first run. Growth and looks just like what she had and I can't wait to cook some.

it's just starting to bloom. I'm looking for plants that are both pretty and produce food for my garden and that pea sure looks like it would do do you know it's exact name?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Silvia, I remember your having it and I even remember your posting beautiful photos! In fact, I looked up that thread and found it! But that darn ol' Photobucket has taken some of the fun out of older posts since their photos no longer show up. Every time I open an old thread with missing Photobucket photos, I shake my fists, LOL.

Here it is, missing some of it's former glory:

May in my garden (2013)

So I thank you, Silvia, for reposting those photos again today. Your vine was gorgeous! That's exactly what I had gone back to see (despite all of the photos on Google Images).

My two little seedlings are about two inches tall - looking strong - and have some true leaves now. Hope they look something like that one day! Just a great shade of true blue.

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

Glenn, I love that you're growing nostalgic Grandma beans! That is cool that you found them. Did you get the freesia seeds (I hope)?

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    6 years ago

Carol I did thank you

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked Glenn Jones(9b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Glenn, ya, my mistake! I just found your email saying you got them. Good deal!!!

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

Isn't it too hot to start peas?

Jane

Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess it wasn't too hot for me, Jane, as these germinated and are growing. But then, I will grow these as ornamentals, not edibles. Maybe it is too hot for edibles? I'm not proficient in that area, to say the least!

Carol

Original Author
    6 years ago

Silvia, we've been hanging out here a long time and there's quite a few people who have been here even longer than us!

That hyacinth vine is fantastic! I miss seeing photos of your puppies. Have you posted any lately?

Glenn, please post more photos of your vine as it gets bigger.

Blue flowers (along with pink, red and white) are among my favorite. I have a couple areas with that mix of color and my neighbors asked me if I'm doing a patriotic yard this year. This photo is one when it was newly planted - the white and red pentas along the bottom have gotten quite larger:

Carol

• whgille
    6 years ago

Glenn, since you are interested edibles, I can think of few things that you can try in your garden, being one the black jungle butterbeans and some others. Message me your address if interested.

Carol, it is too hot for edibles, especially peas that are planted in the cold weather but we are talking about ornamental vines that take the heat. The blue pea vine is very well behaved and did well on my trellis. I also planted the hyacinth vine but needed strong trellis like the one at Monticello. One time I planted giant beans that were supposed to be edible but did not try them (too many instructions otherwise you get sick.:) and next are the purple cowpeas.

And this is my latest doggie picture, a stray puppy in Greece, there are so many and lovable! he liked the scarf that I took it out after the monastery wrapping.:)

Silvia

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked whgille
  • Glenn Jones(9b)
    6 years ago

I will post more pictures as they grow. Thank you ladies.

• Pea
    6 years ago

That pup looks awfully well kept for a stray.

• whgille
    6 years ago

Pea, the amazing thing that I saw is that they all looked like that, they get fed at the restaurants near by, people there are kind to the animals, they don't lock them up like here, but they do fix them so there is no more dogs at the street, the ones that are fixed have some sort of tags on them and they are clean from the rain that fall. They are usually together and are very friendly, all they want is love. We had some bread from the hotel to give them and they did not take it, that means the leftovers that the restaurants gives them are good enough for them. They were some sort of breed that are tall, the one playing with me was a puppy and he liked that I scratch his belly just like my dogs at home. I noticed that they understood commands in Greek because I saw some workers doing that and giving water to another puppy. They will be in my heart forever!

Silvia

• jane__ny
    6 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I'm from NY so peas were always planted around St. Patrick's Day. They died off in the heat. I am still learning about Tropical plants.

Thanks to June I will try my hand at these peas on my fence. I'm not interested in edibles, just offering nectar plants for my butterflies.

Carol, love the red, white and blue garden. You are giving me some ideas. I love blue flowers.

Jane

Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL) thanked jane__ny
  • ezhilmalini
    6 years ago

June do you havebutterfly pea seed available.thanks.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

There are developing green pods on the vine, Eshilmalinim, but I'm not sure there are any mature ones at the moment. It's raining (yeah) so I'll check later and let you know. - June

• ezhilmalini
    6 years ago

Thanks june

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    6 years ago

Didn't find any ripe pods this AM, just green ones. - June

• ezhilmalini
    6 years ago

whenever its ready please let me know.Thanks