SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh02_2001

One acre bermuda lawn renovation with seed

josh02_2001
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone. I wanted to post my process of renovating over an acre of lawn going from fescue, common bermuda, weed mix to a nicer quality hybrid bermuda. The purpose of this post is track progress, get feedback, and maybe help others who might be trying this in the future.

Background: I have two acres of land that I built a house and moved in last July. I had about 13,000 s.f. of Tifway 419 bermuda laid around the house around July 2016. I paid someone to do the prep work prior to the sod and they did an awesome job. However with all sod it has some bumps and I might tackle leveling it in the future. I am mowing with a 54" zero turn on the lowest setting (1.5"). Here are some pictures of it from this weekend.

The other 1.25 acres or so was rough terrain that was never maintained other than an occasional brush hogging prior to me purchasing the land. Mowing was frustrating because of all the bumps and rocks. So I decided to renovate by regrading and start over with Bermuda seed. Here are some pictures prior to starting (sorry I don't have great pictures of the beginning).

Over the past couple months I have made several glyphosate applications. Here are some pictures after two applications about 2 weeks apart back in late March/April.

I made one more application in mid April and had 3 loads of topsoil delivered. The last application seemed to get the majority of the rest of the grass/weeds that were being stubborn. I spent many nights and weekends picking up rocks that I could see on the surface after this. Then again after heavy rains. I would guess I picked/dug up 30 buckets of rocks.

My next plan was to spread the topsoil in the low spots with a skid steer. Knock down the high spots and use a home made drag made from angle iron to drag everything smooth. I did this on May 13th. It worked pretty good. Here is some in progress photos.

The next post will have more detail and pictures. I can't post any more pics to this post.

Comments (18)