SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caseycasa

Thoughts on IKEA kitchen layout?

caseycasa
6 years ago

We are remodeling our small rowhouse kitchen and planning to use IKEA Sektion cabinets and SemiHandmade doors (walnut on the bottom, white on the top). I think we are getting close to finalizing our layout and would love any thoughts!

The refrigerator run here is (L-R) 18" shallow pantry, 36" base cabinet with shelves, 18" base cabinet with shelves, refrigerator, 18" deep pantry. The opposite side is (L-R) 15" base cabinet with 2 drawers (plus 3 hidden drawers), 30" range, 30" base cabinet with 2 drawers (and 3 hidden), 24" dishwasher with panel, 36" sink cabinet, lazy susan corner cabinet, and 15" base cabinet (for a Rev A Shelf mixer lift!). The corner and peninsula cabinets are just 1 door but the others are 2 drawers. Does that look weird?

We will have a peninsula with 2-3 bar stools looking into the kitchen. We want a 33" French door refrigerator - 36" ones look enormous in our small rowhouse - and our contractor will recess it. IKEA only has 30" and 36" cabinets so I'm thinking we'll do a 30" cabinet with two filler pieces. Is that a mistake?

There is a bump behind the left pantry. It's about 11" wide and 7" deep and needs to stay for complicated reasons. I am planning to have the pantry flush with the base cabinets and use a cover piece sized to camouflage the bump if that makes sense. Does anyone have other ideas on what we could do with this weird bump?

Any tips for how to fit trash, recycling, and disposal under the sink in the 36" cabinet?

I have not put a lot of thought into the upper cabinets. They are just basic shelves. Any words of warning or tricks?

(By the way, the window behind the refrigerator is a mistake. There is no window there.)

Comments (10)