SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_tracker

8mil vs 15mil drip tape for veg garden?

So you know my experience level, I'm a somewhat rookie gardener and even more of a rookie at drip irrigation. But, I'm smarter than a clod of dried south Alabama red clay so there's hope for me...I think. ;)

I'm setting up a vegetable garden this year, roughly a 24'x54' tilled area that will host eight wide rows of 3'x25'. This is the first garden we've had in years. Being in south Alabama and experiencing the heat and droughts that we have down here I'm planning on setting up a drip irrigation system using drip-tape...I have sandy soil and I'm (hope I'm correct in doing so) looking at 8" spacing.

What I'm having trouble deciding on is the thickness of the tape. At first I had thought that the heavier 15mil tape would be what I wanted...durability, longevity, etc.,. In kits you can get something like 1000' of 15mil or several thousand feet of 8mil for the same money. The 15mil being a multi-year reusable tape whereas the 8mil is a one-year one-time use tape. The 15mil seemed more appealing for it's longer lifespan. But then I got thinking about emitters getting blocked over time, nicks needing repair. The length of 8mil tape included with the kits would allow the tape to be replaced each year with fresh emitters and no repaired nicks/cuts. The longer lengths of 8mil tape included in the kits will allow it to be changed out yearly for several years down the road.

I understand that there would be more labor involved yearly in setting up the 8mil tape, but there would be maintenance on the 15mil, too. Would the thinner/lighter 8mil tape be more aggravating to work with...more "delicate" or whatever? What are the pros and cons of either of these that you've experienced in working with them?

Any thoughts on this 15mil 2-3 year tape versus 8mil single-year tape?

Thanks for any feedback. This will be a substantial investment for me and will hopefully carry me along for several years.

Ed

Comments (4)