SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

Happy Mother's Day to me! (Turtle tale)

notolover
6 years ago

Had to share this story.
Some of you may remember that I lost one of my box turtles over a summer a few years ago. I found him under a tomato plant in the fall

Well I thought that I had accidentally released him last fall when it was time to bring him in for the winter and I was heart broken--I was sure that a hawk got him or something. I looked for him in and out of the enclosure for weeks and I started leaving food and water outside the enclosure in March just in case but I still didn't see him. I resigned myself to the loss and just felt bad about it.

But this morning I was out by the pen and I did a double-take. At first I thought it was the female that I put out there last week, but he has a distinctive hole in his shell and he is much more colorful--she looks like an army helmet. Plus I found her hiding under a strawberry plant.
He hibernated in the high desert all winter! I put a lot of leaves in the enclosure and we had a really wet winter, but I'm so impressed with him. I guess box turtles have 9 lives, too :-) At least that guy does. He does need to "fatten up", though.

My female is a survivor, too. She was an adult when I got her and that was 37 years ago. She lived through years of my boys taking care of her. I'm starting to worry that she will outlive me.

Comment (1)